cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flip down TV mount for the ceiling above the cab

Strador
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 Entegra Odyssey and would like to put a bigger TV in the main living area. I have a bunk above the cab and thinking a flip down mount that came from above the bunk would be great. I have found a few 20 lbs TV's that are 40+ inches. I have found a few flip down mounts that would likely work. Just not exactly sure what to attach the mounts to.

Has anyone done this, how did you find the support braces to connect safely secure the mount?
8 REPLIES 8

Strador
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Do you boondock ? A 40โ€ tv draws approx 5 amps.

40โ€ might be too heavy for a ceiling drop down mount. You might be better off using a long arm side mount where you use bolts onto a cabinet rather than screws into the ceiling. Ive seen a few tvs rip off mounts and crash to the floor. Check MORryde products.

This might actually work really well. We have something mounted on the side now, its only a 12 inch swivel, the 25 inch mount from MORryde will hold the TV I want, and probably be way more secure folded back into the side wall while traveling.

Much thanks to everyone for the input!!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Some rvs have a plywood square support board built into the wall at a tv location from the factory. On my tvโ€™s, i mounted my pivoting tv arm to a cutting board first by bolting it. Then that board got mounted using a dozen screws , into the factory plywood thats inside the wall.
The bolts and washers will not rip out of the cutting board and all those screws will distribute the weight. I have never had a tv fall off a wall using this method. I also use a support strap attached to the wall studs using screws and a plastic adjustable buckle secures the web strap around the tv.

a web strap is a great addition

bumpy

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget. Your 20 lb. TV will double or triple in weight when you are bouncing down the road.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If its an aluminum frame it might be hit n miss getting screws to bite enough on a hollow thin walled aluminum tube. Unless its an OEM tv mounting spot where the mfg might fill the tube using wood allowing screws to bite.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Try a Walabot to find the support braces. They are amazing.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some rvs have a plywood square support board built into the wall at a tv location from the factory. On my tvโ€™s, i mounted my pivoting tv arm to a cutting board first by bolting it. Then that board got mounted using a dozen screws , into the factory plywood thats inside the wall.
The bolts and washers will not rip out of the cutting board and all those screws will distribute the weight. I have never had a tv fall off a wall using this method. I also use a support strap attached to the wall studs using screws and a plastic adjustable buckle secures the web strap around the tv.

Strador
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:

No we pretty much stay on shore power. I imagine if we ever boondock we would just go without TV.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

40โ€ might be too heavy for a ceiling drop down mount. You might be better off using a long arm side mount where you use bolts onto a cabinet rather than screws into the ceiling. Ive seen a few tvs rip off mounts and crash to the floor. Check MORryde products.