Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford Adventurer or Thor CHATEAU

mc_line
Explorer
Explorer
Hi

I'm a newbie in the RV world but I have been looking at RV's for a couple of months and I have concluded I can not afford a new (or newer) RV. My parking space is bellow 23.5'. My budget and parking is limited. The unit is for me, my wife and kid (and maybe my mother once in a while)

Under these circumstances I have two units that are almost priced equally. I have taken took a look at them and they are in good shape, they do not have to have any water leaks, delam, mold, and appliances work ok. The 2004 has some rusted screws but that's it

2006 Ford Adventurer 220RB sold by owner (honest owner) with 60 miles
2004 Thor CHATEAU 21 (on a Chevrolet) c sold by a dealer with 50 miles

Personally, I like the 2004 unit configuration but the extra bed in the 2006 unit is also nice.

Does any want has any experiences on any of these models, which one is more reliable or any recommendation on which way to go?

Thank you so much in advance for your help
6 REPLIES 6

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004 Chevy 3500HD has a 57 gallon gas tank. It also has a tow/haul switch.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which size chassis is both of them on:

The Ford based motorhome - E350 or E450?

The Chevy based motorhome - 3500 or 4500?

The Ford chassis (whether E350 or E450) of that year will have their superb TorqueShift computer controlled 5-speed (6-speeds internal) transmission with it's automatic down-shifting Tow/Haul mode for effortlessly safe mountain driving.

If the Ford is also the optional heavy duty ton and a half E450 chassis, it's a no-brainer to choose the 2006 if the rig's tank capacities, condition, equipment types, construction quality, and floorplan are up to what you want.

Be sure and also check gas tank capacities between the two motorhomes. Ford's will probably be 55 gallons whether an E350 or E450. I don't know what tank capacity will be with a 2004 Chevy chassis. I do know we travel with friends who have a Class C motorhome on a chassis with only a 36 gallon fuel tank ... and it's a REAL PAIN for them to have to stop and gas up what seems like "all the time" when traveling with the typical Class C gas mileage of only 9-11 miles per gallon.

Remember ... when buying a motorhome (whether new or used) ... many details often turn out to be regretted, or appreciated, only after owning and driving it quite some time after you've bought it.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Nearing 8-10 years of life, what matters is how the PO took care of the vehicle. If the generator has low run hours on it, you probably will need to factor in a new carb. The Ford probably needs some TLC with a Lisle tool to have its spark plugs and coils replaced. Even though they should be pulled at 100K miles, it is always good to get the initial servicing out of the way.

I will say the Chevy has a smaller doghouse, but both platforms are decent. On an even par, I'd choose the Ford, but that is due to being more versed with the brand than Chevy.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Thor makes a lot of products and to me they seem to be of some what quality.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I know nothing about the Ford but I have a 2005 Four Winds, division of Thor, built on a 2004 Chevy chassis. Its an entry level MH but has been very good, few problems.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like the Thor, I would go with that one.

It being on a Chevy Chassis is a big plus.You would most likely avoid the pitfalls of having a Ill handling and very expensive to fix RV on a Ford Chassis.

As talked about HERE

The Chevy also has more legroom,rides smoother and for the most part gets a bit more better gas mileage.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C