Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford cab keyless remote entry....

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

Has anyone installed (or had installed) a remote keyless entry system to the Ford E450 Cab? I'm not really interested in an alarm, just the remote entry. An OEM installation would be my first choice, but whatever works... 🙂

Thanks!
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v
26 REPLIES 26

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 1997 F150 with the remote module but no key fobs. I foolishly, being able to leap tall building in a single bound and all those other things, bought a couple of fobs with four buttons to program for the 150. Nope didn't work, worked fine on DW's '02 Explorer but neyt on the 150.

Checking on a F150 site I learned a lot about the keyless systems, alarms and the like. There are stick on keypads for the door column and under the handle... I also learned about the modules, I have not tried to find anything for a E450 but if they did come prewired, you are in luck and as others have said those things you want and need for the keyless system are available. Key fobs are not all the same. In 1997 they made some major changes and none of the fobs for post 1997 Fords will work in a 1997 Ford. There are also a bunch of different modules.

I hate to answer your question by saying "Google It", but try looking for "2016 Ford E450 Keyless entry system module location", or other similar questions. Eventually you'll find the location, a description of the module connectors and the part numbers. I even found some "youtube" videos and some still photos of the modules and how they are mounted. Something else you can do is read your Ford manual for information regarding programming the key fobs. If there isn't anything in the manual, you may be out of luck. If there are instructions in the manual, you're in luck because your truck is most likely to have everything but the module.

I have a module for an Explorer that I can't use and will work in "some" F150/250 pickups and may work in your E450. If you do track down the number for a module, PM me and I let you know if my extra module will work and send it to you.

Just an aside, I hate the little red panic button on the fobs for my pickup. When I had a f150 some time ago, I took the fob apart and put a small piece of tape over the contact switch on the circuit board. I just did the same thing to my 1997's key fobs. Turns out that the circuit board for my truck is the same as the circuit board for my wife's key fob circuit board.

Her fobs are Ford and mine are Ebay, the fobs I bought the first time for the truck work her system and are also Ebay and look exactly the same and yes I can swap the CBs around to the other fobs and they work. While the housings are 4 button for the Explorer and the ones for the 150 are 3 button, the CB's all have 5 switches on the CBs. The Chinese copied them exactly and if the reliability is as good as Ford's, $5 or $6 bucks is better than as much as $90 from some Ford dealers. The same thing for the chipped keys, bought two for the DGD's 2000 Mustang for $17.00 and they work just fine.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Whew, this is getting very frustrating! I'm starting to wonder if the module for other years E350/E450 would work. After all the basic Ford cut away chassis hasn't changed much over the years. Heck, the socket for the remote door lock module looks the same as the one for the F150 pickup.

Ford tells me that almost any key fob can be programmed to work with the module. They just can't tell me (officially) that the nodule for another Ford vehicle will work. Grrrr....
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
I checked with Ford, and they said that there is no "module" in the E450 chassis to support using the key fobs. They don't even show a correct module in their parts list for our 2016 E450 chassis.

I checked with JC Whitney, and they don't have it either.

If a module can be found, it just plugs into a socket behind the dash, and then most any key fob can be programmed to work with it. If it's the correct module, it will also automatically lock the doors 5 seconds after the transmission is put into drive.

I'm still looking.....
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was thinking of the same thing, would be nice when camping that if I locked the keys in or dropped them that I could get back in.

I think at this time that I will stay with the plain old key idea as anything electronic is prone to failure or hacking. I carry a spare RV door key in my wallet and have a engine key hidden in the motor home that nobody could find without taking 20 or 30 minutes to look.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any car stereo installer can add the remote entry.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
I too have a 2008 Ford e450, and looked into getting the key fob, but was told that this year was not equipped to allow the remote entry option. I bought the key fobs, but was never able to program them.

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
My question is exactly what do you want? Do you want a "proximity' key where you never have to take the key out of you pocket? Or, do you mean a key fob which unlocks the doors when pressed?

If it's a key fob you want, I too am surprised that one didn't come with your RV. My 2016 E450 came with a key fob.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
bfast54 wrote:
Simply go to your Ford dealer or call or go online--- and you can get the stick on keyless entry plate( that it'll basically be the same as the stock standard one )....and you stick it on and program it to your vehicle...( or program to vehicle THEN stick on).

This only works for vehicles that already have the keyless entry.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I got one for my Jeep from Amazon for about $25. It works great and came with two fobs.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Simply go to your Ford dealer or call or go online--- and you can get the stick on keyless entry plate( that it'll basically be the same as the stock standard one )....and you stick it on and program it to your vehicle...( or program to vehicle THEN stick on).
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2010 Purchase of my 150 Ford truck came with the KEYLESS entry door KEY PAD and STEP ASSIST on the tail gate. I probably would have never added those two items but now that I have them they get used everyday...

Our Truck cab has become our security vault for all valuables when camping and with the keyless entry everyone can gain access...

The tail gate is also one of the greatest thing I have used in a new vehicle in along time...

The push button panel to gain entrance is a most useful feature for us to use.

Google Image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sort of surprised the Ford didn't come with it. But anyways, I'd call Best Buy for a cost.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.