cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford E450 support

irvsproblems
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 2008 Ford E450 chassis Phoenix Cruiser. On the way home from a weekend outing in the middle of May the Check Engine light came on. The next business day we dropped it off at Sunset Ford here in Saint Louis. They promised to check it out and call us with the diagnosis the next day.
โ€œA defective PCM is the problem.โ€ They continued โ€œthis is the engineโ€™s main computer.Continued running of the engine could cause major damage to the engine and exhaust components. The part is on order and should be received by the end of May.โ€
As it got close to end of May, we received a call and a message that the part is still on order and will be received by the end of June.
At the end of June, you guessed it. โ€œThe part is still on order but Ford promised it will be delivered by July twenty fifth.โ€
Monday, July twelfth another telephone contact and the date of delivery was changed to September fourteenth.
We have asked about the possibility of finding a replacement in a salvage yard. We have asked about the possibility of repairing it. The answer we have received from Ford, Sunset Ford and Phoenix is โ€œNo.Each PCM is unique and built specifically for the engine.โ€
The people at Phoenix, Sunset Ford and those I have been able to talk to at Ford have all been courteous and sympathetic but unable to rectify the problem.
The wife and I are retired and normally travel during the summer. Ford has destroyed 2015.
I strongly suggest to anyone that is considering purchasing a new or used Ford powered RV, THINK TWICE.
11 REPLIES 11

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
yep, autozone or o'reillys can get you the actual code and the PCM if needed. Does require a little programming for your specific vehicle.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Research and get a quality aftermarket. Go to a ford website such as Ford truck enthusists and ask about the problem there and get recommendations. I have bought the main computrs from autozone so they are not made for each truck, but how they are configured for each truck is determined from the vin number and the code on the computer.

Find a good indy shop or another ford dealer.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
irvsproblems wrote:
We own a 2008 Ford E450 chassis Phoenix Cruiser. On the way home from a weekend outing in the middle of May the Check Engine light came on.

You are WAY more patient and forgiving than I would be.

Get the warranty support number for Ford trucks and call them (yes I know it's not a warranty problem but that should be the best number to call anyway).

Second, if the place that has it now is not a real "Ford truck" dealer....for medium size to big trucks, find one and take it THERE.
In the St. Louis area, you probably have several choices.

People who use these vehicles for their sole means of income can't afford to put up with stuff like this. A "real" dealer should have ways to solve the problem........and you would get a second opinion. At this point, I don't think I would even trust the initial diagnosis.

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry to hear your problem and this would make a good topic in Technical about PCM/ECU's. (Power train module/electronic control module)
Yes something seems wrong with the dealer, however my experience of vehicle manufactures and these type of units is to get the dealer to confirm it has failed and then find a company who repairs them as it is a lot cheaper! Up to 85% cheaper! I do not have experience of the E450 units but I see there are plenty of places who advertise on the internet. Companies normally not only repair the part failed on the module but also components they know will fail soon. You may well find the unit is not manufactured by ford as companies a lot of vehicles use the same units and when removed you can look up on the internet the type and see common problems. Normally it is best to get your own unit repaired and not buy another one.
Check your manual as I think the E450 after having the battery disconnected (for module unplugging)has to teach itself again and there is a procedure when you start the engine and the first few miles. This is common with other units.
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
What is the part number?

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a load of bull. Take your vehicle to another dealer.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
Was there an accompanying code along with the dash light? ...and if so, did it correspond to a bad PCM?

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
Yah, none of this sounds right to me either. The E450 has hundreds of thousands of units on the road. Ambulances, buses, etc. Seems to me the part should be in good supply.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
Get the part number and see if a different Ford Dealer can get it for you. Not a Ford problem....a Dealer problem. I have never been a huge Ford fan but....if you want a Class C on the larger side. They have a monopoly on them. My Ford E450 has been fine and the local Ford Truck Center provides service on it. All brands can have issues and ALL brands do have issues....some just more than others.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
irvsproblems wrote:
โ€œNo.Each PCM is unique and built specifically for the engine.โ€

Wow - I find that statement hard to believe.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds awfully fishy. A bad PCM should result in a no-run condition. This is not a Ford problem. This is most certainly a dealer problem. Have you tried escalating the problem to Ford's motorhome help line?
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST