cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford F-53 Chassis - Nude

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
In case you are wondering what a stripped Ford F-53 chassis looks like under all the coverings, here are some pictures I took while walking around Newmar today:

The box under the steering wheel acts as a seat for the drivers when they deliver it to the OEM. The box also contains the gauges, A/C prep, vehicle ID stickers, manuals and some wiring harnesses.

You can see more photos on Ford's site.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
19 REPLIES 19

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
holstein13 wrote:

Interesting that the next to last photo shows a coil spring front suspension. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Richard

That's the E-series stripped chassis, which ranges from 11,500-14,500 GVWR. It is used in in the Thor Vegas/Axis. The frame is also lower and 10" wider than the F53 chassis.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:

Interesting that the next to last photo shows a coil spring front suspension. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
Wait. What exactly did you buy? The stripped Spartan chassis or the motorhome in the picture?

The MH in the picture w/air ride.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
How much does that cost?

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
ga80486 wrote:
JumboJet wrote:
Quick, add air suspension components to that frame while it is easily accessible.

Or, just buy this one that already has it.

http://lansing.craigslist.org/rvs/5131533140.html

I just did. Picking it up Thursday.

Wait. What exactly did you buy? The stripped Spartan chassis or the motorhome in the picture?

And why does the craigslist summary at the top right say the Cummins engine is gas, not diesel?
`

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
ga80486 wrote:
JumboJet wrote:
Quick, add air suspension components to that frame while it is easily accessible.

I just did. Picking it up Thursday.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
fourmat wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
OldBlackWater wrote:
How do they transport them from the Ford plant to the RV manufacturers? Are they stacked on a flatbed trailer, or do they hire a bunch of drivers to hop on the boxes and drive them there?
I believe they arrive by rail car or are stacked on flat bed trailers. There is no way they are street legal in that configuration with no headlights, brake lights, turn signals, seat belts, seat, bumpers, etc.
They are stacked piggy back and towed
That is correct. I just asked Newmar and they told me they arrive two at a time, piggybacked on the back of a flat bed semi tractor.
`

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:
Thanks for posting the pics. Look at the distance between the bump stops and the axels. Most people can't even get the flat part of their hand between the stops and the axels.
Yep, the suspension is fully extended without the weight of the coach. I'll bet it's a pretty rough ride like this. But also brings home how important ride height and adjusting the suspension to the weight of the coach is.
`

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting the pics. Look at the distance between the bump stops and the axels. Most people can't even get the flat part of their hand between the stops and the axels.
Wildmanbaker

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
OldBlackWater wrote:
How do they transport them from the Ford plant to the RV manufacturers? Are they stacked on a flatbed trailer, or do they hire a bunch of drivers to hop on the boxes and drive them there?
I believe they arrive by rail car or are stacked on flat bed trailers. There is no way they are street legal in that configuration with no headlights, brake lights, turn signals, seat belts, seat, bumpers, etc.
They are stacked piggy back and towed
2009 Challenger

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
OldBlackWater wrote:
`

ga80486
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:

OldBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
Steve -- Murphy, TX

2011 Fleetwood Storm 32BH (2011 Ford F-53 V10)
2013 Ford C-Max Energi with ReadyBrake
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, cute decorative lights in the shapes of peppers and RVs, one lovely wife, and three kids

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
They should have races with them cuz you know guys will race anything with a motor.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser