Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford V10 starting and dyeing

Team_D
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I have a Winnebago Vista, 32K with the Ford Chassis, V10.

I'm supposed to head out of town next weekend after the motorhome has been sitting for a couple of months, so I thought I'd take it out for some exercise.

I went to start it and it struggled. Typically, I turn the key and let go. The starter continues to turn the engine over until it starts. This time, it only turned over while I was holding the key.

It took several tries to get it started and then it would only start for half a second and then immediately die. I then started it while giving it gas and holding the key over. That seemed to work. I figured problem was just that it sat too long and a little drive would remedy the issue.

Drove about 15 miles and it died at a traffic light. I tried for several minutes and it would not start. Finally after about 10 minutes, I was able to start it, again only by holding the key over and giving it gas. Just 5 miles from home, I was able to make it without further issues.

I'll take it to my mechanic as soon as he can squeeze me it, but in the meantime, any ideas on what it could be? Bad relay perhaps?
17 REPLIES 17

Team_D
Explorer
Explorer
2010 and no check engine light. I do have a code reader, but with something like this come up if there is no check engine light?

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
What year chassis? Is your check engine light on? Check for fault codes. Fault code analysis is ALWAYS the best bet when beginning troubleshooting diagnostics. If you don't have a fault code reader, they are available (for very little money) on the internet or most popular auto parts stores (Autozone, O'Reilly's, NAPA, etc.) can do it for you for free. Search YouTube for more specifics. The diagnostic port is inside near the top of the steering column to the right, . . . . usually. It usually has a black plastic cover over the port.

Chum lee

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Fuel filter
fuel pump relay. not sure on Fords, GM fuel pump is run through oil pressure gauge.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker