cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Found It

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
As I've mentioned in a few posts, we've been looking for a late 90's Safari Sahara. We like the interior layout because it's roomy without slides. I like the CAT 300 / Allison combination and the stainless+aluminum construction.

One showed up on Craigs List last week and it just happened to be close to the CG we were going to this weekend. The owner agreed to drive it to the CG for us to look at it, and it is exactly what we've been looking for.

I guess it'll be Green Machine V2, although we may end up calling it White Tiger.

Thanx to Wolfe10 for the info on Safaris.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
24 REPLIES 24

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
Which model Safari do you have? 3530? From the photos, the front half layout looks much like my 3540, except my door is in front.

I also have the Elipti-ride, leaf springs โ€“ simple and effective. The Velvet Ride is the torsilastic suspension โ€“ something to stay clear of โ€“ Magnum Chassis did not do that one well.

Mine has the Pacbrake exhaust brake, which will do 90% or 95% of the braking. I assume yours does, too, and the air pump and reservoir will be mainly for that, plus it will power the air horns.

If you take out the sofa and the one existing recliner, I think you will have room for two recliners on the driver side and a not-too-deep cabinet for a TV on the passenger side. I think the recliner plus sofa makes things a little crowded in mine. As stated earlier, I may swap the recliner for something more compact.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
The ride is fine to me, but I don't have a huge amount of experience. The Monterey had coil springs with after market airbags, and it rode rough depending on the tire pressure.

The Safari has 2 suspension options, Ellipti-ride and Velvet ride. This coach has the Ellipti-ride, which is basically large leaf springs.

No airbrakes, but it has the "Sultan" package, which included an air pump and some pretty cool sounding air horns. Much better than a Wolo Bad Boy.

I've measured the living room and I think there will be plenty of room for a couple of chairs on the driver's side with the TV cabinet on the pax side.
Jerry & Jeanne

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
One thing....since it`s gonna sit till April wait to put the tires on in the spring. Other than that clean it up and enjoy.

Good advice, and normally I would agree. I'm hoping the DW will get sick of working and we can head for Red Coconut RV park sometime over the winter.

Ah, I see. getting ready to head out ASAP! LOL, got it!

Just so you know....I didn't mean it was dirty by saying to clean it up, just clean it up as you would any used vehicle! :B

I love going through something new to me! (whether it be new or used) gives you time to get to know all the little things about it and you can make it your own by adding things, like TV`s, furniture, all the little things that make RV`ing fun!

BTW, how did it ride? I forgot if you posted or not but does it have air ride suspension? (air bags), and air brakes? always love the sound of a DP pulling in with airbrakes!

Enjoy!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MrWizard
Looks very nice
Looks identical to our 95 Sahara.. same color same detailing
But we could use new clear coat
We have the Cummins 5.9L engine
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
One thing....since it`s gonna sit till April wait to put the tires on in the spring. Other than that clean it up and enjoy.

Good advice, and normally I would agree. I'm hoping the DW will get sick of working and we can head for Red Coconut RV park sometime over the winter.
Jerry & Jeanne

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
Nice, indeed! I wondered why you were asking questions about Safari, when a few days ago your signature showed another brand. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wolfe10 also had a hand in my recent purchase of a Safari. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dodge Guy has a good point about room to get by with more recliners. We have much the same sofa and recliner as you, and the existing recliner in the reclined position is a little tight with the sofa. We will try it a while longer, but we may end up swapping the recliner for a club chair or something more compact, but comfy.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks nice!

Will the recliners give you enough room to walk by easily?

Enjoy!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got this home after spending 5 days in the hospital. Some additional pix.

We're going to pull the couch out and put 2 recliners there and put a flt screen TV in a retractable box on the other side. The TV over the driver's seat doubles as a backup camera monitor, but the B/U camera doesn't work so I'll be going wireless on that with it's own monitor. That'll open that big space where the TV is now for something else. I need to give the carpeting a good shampooing as well as the overhead. DW hates the headboard, so I guess we'll be recovering that. Headed to get some new tires tomorrow, then it's off to the storage yard until April.
Jerry & Jeanne

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Safari coaches were always top of the line in quality with solid wood cabinets throughout and other high end materials. Congrats on a good choice that should bring you years of excellent service.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Looks awesome. Does it have the velvet ride suspension?
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Jplante4, amazing, it looks just as good on the inside as it does on the outside!

You didn't have to hire a New York model for the pics just for us! Must have cost you a fortune!

Anyway, ya'll will have a great time in that coach.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Gorgeous. Would love to see a few more pix though.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
And just a word to the people who lurk around here wondering about RVing; We started with a "starter bus"; not exactly what we wanted, but enough to go for a couple of weeks at a time to see what it took. Our goal was to travel the country for a few months before we got to old to do it. I know there are more people out there that have the same goal. My advise is to start as cheaply as you can ( not renting ) and establish a "must have" list and a "nice to have" list. Don't settle, hold out for what you want.

Just as with learning to fly, I don't want to be lying on my death bed wishing I had done something.
Jerry & Jeanne

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Jplante4, wow!, that is a nice looking clean coach. They must have kept it garaged as the paint looks excellent! Post pics of the inside if you can.

Safe travels,
MM.

I didn't take a lot. I'll post more when I get it home.

Jerry & Jeanne