cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

French Door residential refrigerator

grampyjd
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2017 George Town motor home by Forest River. A major problem is that they installed a huge French Door residential 110 volt refrigerator which has two upper doors and a lower freezer drawer. They have a small rubber strap that goes across the two upper side-by-side doors and a small rubber strap across the bottom freezer drawer. The straps are latched on both sides with small hooks. The doors and drawer are continually coming open while traveling down the road.

Is there someway to install a solid latch that will keep all three closed while traveling? There is only 1/2" between the upper doors and lower drawer.

Thank you for your help

Grampyjd
Sincerely,

grampyjd
jstouffer@stouffertech.com
29 REPLIES 29

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a pic? The DW want's to take our side by side and install a French Door. We love our LAMP lock but can't figure out how it would work on a French Door. I assume you need 2?
Thanks.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

fuzzyface
Explorer
Explorer
johnsonbert wrote:
Our fridge, like you have described yours, uses a Sugatsune lamp 85/s latch, and we velcro the two upper door handles together for added insurance. We also use expandable curtain rods inside so that heavy objects cannot push the door open, even though it is latched.
Below is a link to the latch on Amazon. It appears that it was installed when new.

LatchLatch

Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert

I installed a french door ref in my R V, used this lock and am extremely happy with it. A friend just replaced his 'factory' lock with this, also.
Linda and Mike Kruzin' in a Kountry Star

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others have said, they don't work well. They are really not good on a French Door setup.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Use bungee cords or strips of velcro, both work.
2014 American Eagle

MrWizard
for the french doors

two door fridge

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a new gadget that looks good.

Fridge Fixer
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
Like other posters, I made a u shaped 3/8 plywood and covered it with Gorilla tape so it doesn't scratch. Simple, effective , and inexpensive.:)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
johnsonbert wrote:
Our fridge, like you have described yours, uses a Sugatsune lamp 85/s latch, and we velcro the two upper door handles together for added insurance. We also use expandable curtain rods inside so that heavy objects cannot push the door open, even though it is latched.
Below is a link to the latch on Amazon. It appears that it was installed when new.

LatchLatch

Yep, those are the LAMP latches. If you can make these work on your setup you will never have another issue!

cjd10
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, are the doors opening by themselves or are the contents of the refrigerator loose and causing them to open? I have the exact same setup as you and have not had an issue with the doors coming open except once when I forget to put the strap on and a big pot of chili shifted when I took a sharp turn too fast.
Clyde and Elaine
2014 Georgetown 351DS by Forest River
2 Boston Terriers 1 French Bulldog
Rest in Peace Toby

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer

LatchLatch

2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
A U shaped Adel clamp screwed between the doors with a wooden tapered T that goes into it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

MrWizard
look at child saftey latches
there is a large variety
the ones i have work great
some come in different colors
or you can paint them before you install {if you want}
mine are white the fridge is silver
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
I use a bungy cord between all 3 door handles work fine don't put bottles on the shelf they tend to roll off hitting the inside of door and opening them

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You take a U shaped piece of plywood covered in carpet or similar (upside down U) that will just fit in the space with the 2 handles and have enough of the U to cover the lower drawer.
For me, I would use some kind of window locks or cabinet door locks as have been posted here in numerous posts.
Take a look around and you will find a solution that works for you. I like the LAMP door latches but you must be able to get the 2 sides of the latch pretty close together and I am not sure that would work for your setup.
The other thing that many folks do is use these door latches. For a really secure door you will need 2 on each door.
Door latch

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
Home Depot carries Adjustable Rubber Straps that are heavy duty which might work. I'd also suggest calling your dealer and let them know about the problem. Hopefully others will come up with some other options.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS