cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fridge Without an Off Switch

JackInAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a new RV, a Bounder 33C. It has a Samsung residential refrigerator, model RF197 ACRS. It has a lot of bells and whistles, but what it doesn't have is an off button, for when I want to temporarily store the RV without food but with other things still working, which would not be possible if I have to use the battery cut-off switches as Samsung suggests. Their other suggestion is to never take food out of the fridge and leave it on all the time, which is just as ridiculous as building a refrigerator without an off switch.

The refrigerator is run through a 2000 W inverter when not on shore power. I could, of course, turn off the inverter, but the fridge would then continue to run until it depleted the batteries, not a desirable outcome.

Anyone suggest a work-around to this engineering marvel?
7 REPLIES 7

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
double posted...didn't like yesterdays help..
JackInAZ 02/06/15 03:18pm Class A Motorhomes
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Very simple solution: install an OFF switch. That is what I did with my fridge.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the residential refrigerators, KitchenAid comes to mind, turn off by raising the temperature. Up the temperature as far as it will go and see if that will turn it off.

On the KitchenAid, that will turn off the cooling system, but not the interior lights.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
When the inverter is off, and the coach is NOT plugged in, the frig will not continue to run and deplete the batteries.
A residential frig requires 110VAC to operate. It gets that power either from shore power or via an inverter. No shore power, no inverter, the frig will not (CAN not) operate!
You can find where the frig is plugged in, and unplug it. Or, when you find the outlet that the frig is plugged in to, you can easily install a switch for that outlet only. Or you can find the circuit breaker or fuse that supplies 12VDC to the inverter, and turn the inverter off IF your coach is not plugged in to shore power.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
The fridge runs off the inverter. If you shut off the inverter, there is no connection to the batteries.

Try it...see if the light goes out.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

gsander1
Explorer
Explorer
Circuit breaker.
George in Birmingham, AL