cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front End Alignment

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Taking my rig to a truck shop on Wednesday to get an alignment. It doesn't pull to either side, but the steering is a little more loose than I would like and I also want to see if there's any help the alignment can give me when it comes to sway from trucks/cars. I will likely get the tech to do the Cheap Handling Fix while he's under there as well. I have previously replaced the OEM sway bar bushings with poly bushings, which made a world of difference in the amount of sway since the OEM bushings were practically gone. They will also check the rear axle alignment and leaf springs.

I've read that they should set the caster to the upper end of the specs, and in talking to him on the phone to make the appointment, he had already mentioned that as one solution. Anything else to ask him to look for while under the rig?
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
17 REPLIES 17

lonewolf80
Explorer II
Explorer II
Either way it sound expensive and it wouldn't hurt to go to another shop and see what they say. Don't mention the opinion of the first place. Your wallet (and wife) may be very grateful for the extra eyes.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
In most instances putting new springs on is less expensive than re-bending the old springs. The labor to remove and replace the springs is basically the same. The difference is that the coach has to sit, and take up shop space, while the old springs are sent out to be rebuilt. This is not a problem if you are doing the work yourself in your own garage. A shop is going to charge you for that space rental and it usually exceeds any savings from having your springs rebuilt.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
@427435 - 81,000+ miles on the coach.

@holstein13 - No, we bought the coach used last year, so I also assume your position as well. We bought it from an older couple who got the coach when it was only about 2 years old from the original owner through an RV dealer. I've known them all my life and for the most part, the coach is in excellent condition. Obviously, there were/are some mechanical conditions that are likely inherent on a 16 year old mechanical machine. They spent most of their time in it on the way to and from Florida for several months at a time, so I guess they carried everything they owned. As for re-bending the springs, I think I'd rather suck it up and put on new springs. There can't be that much savings over new by going with re-bending.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
Of note, the truck shop said it was nothing to be alarmed about, but after 16 years and 81K+ miles the OEM springs had had all they wanted and were starting to show the wear and tear.
If you want to save money, you can have the springs re-arched. They bend them back to specs using a hydraulic press and heat set them. I'm assuming the springs aren't cracked or broken.

Did you own this coach for 16 years? I'm thinking someone overloaded it for some period of time in its past.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Explorer
Explorer
How many miles on the unit?? The king pins and springs on mine are fine at 80,000+ miles. You may want to go to another shop for a second opinion.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
10forty2 wrote:
Update**

Really nice folks at the truck shop....Beck's Frame and Alignment. Got me right in on time and started evaluating the front end. After checking everything, they came and got me to show me the excessive play in the king pins....they will have to be replaced before an alignment can be done. Also, the front leaf springs are sprung, so they need replacing as well to get the coach sitting level side to side. I'm waiting on a call back for an estimate of the repairs....doesn't sound cheap, but at least they gave me peace of mind that there were no safety considerations at this point, so I can still take my trip in a couple of weeks. The coach drives ok, but you have to drive it... you can't just sit back and "one-finger" it. Kinda tires you out after a few hundred miles. I guess I have a winter project in store...maybe Santa can drop off the money to have it all done... LOL!
Thanks for the update. Your comment about the leaf springs has me alarmed. How much does this coach weigh? Perhaps you need to get it weighed as soon as possible. Under normal loading conditions, I wouldn't think your springs would ever go bad.

But if you have to replace the springs anyway, I'd seriously consider a Kelderman Air Bag system. They come with air bags and new front springs. It will make your ride smoother (but won't help sway).

The coach is rated as 20,500lbs. I had it weighed fully loaded like I travel, with about 40 gallons of fresh water on board about three weeks ago and was showing 20,560lbs total. I was under on front axle and over by about 100lbs on rear axle. I have shifted weight around and am reducing the amount of water I travel with to get safely under the overall GVW rating.

Of note, the truck shop said it was nothing to be alarmed about, but after 16 years and 81K+ miles the OEM springs had had all they wanted and were starting to show the wear and tear. I'll check into the air bags, but I seriously doubt that I'll go that route since it is a 16 year old coach and I'll likely be considering an upgrade in 3-5 years anyway.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
10forty2 wrote:
Update**

Really nice folks at the truck shop....Beck's Frame and Alignment. Got me right in on time and started evaluating the front end. After checking everything, they came and got me to show me the excessive play in the king pins....they will have to be replaced before an alignment can be done. Also, the front leaf springs are sprung, so they need replacing as well to get the coach sitting level side to side. I'm waiting on a call back for an estimate of the repairs....doesn't sound cheap, but at least they gave me peace of mind that there were no safety considerations at this point, so I can still take my trip in a couple of weeks. The coach drives ok, but you have to drive it... you can't just sit back and "one-finger" it. Kinda tires you out after a few hundred miles. I guess I have a winter project in store...maybe Santa can drop off the money to have it all done... LOL!
Thanks for the update. Your comment about the leaf springs has me alarmed. How much does this coach weigh? Perhaps you need to get it weighed as soon as possible. Under normal loading conditions, I wouldn't think your springs would ever go bad.

But if you have to replace the springs anyway, I'd seriously consider a Kelderman Air Bag system. They come with air bags and new front springs. It will make your ride smoother (but won't help sway).
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Update**

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
427435 wrote:
Also be sure to leave the shop with a printout that says the front caster is at 4-1/2 degrees or a little more. They may try and talk you out of that, but be insistent.

Caster adds a lot of stability. The Merc had 110degrees from factory.
It made for a little more wear.
I had 4 new tires installed and they insisted on a new alignment.
On a car capable as it is stability is appreciated. You could guide it with one finger at triple digit speeds.
New specs took a lot of caster out. And it handled like front was on top of a ball.
I had to have them realign it three times. Seems EPA thinks no caster or very little is good for fuel mileage, or so I was told.

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
The trac bars will help with the sway, but experienced significantly more improvement with the steering stability.
Mark

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
I had an oscillating feel to the steering wheel every time I hit a bump. It would feel almost out of control if the bump was large, and on one occasion had the death wobble. I added a trac bar on the front and rear. It tightened the steering up. I suspect the trac bar on the front was overkill, but agree with the rear trac bar. Definitely get it aligned before adding a trac bar though.
Mark

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I've been reading the posts on here for years, taking what some people are calling improvements with a grain salt, but the number one repair for a sloppy front end, reported time and time again is a rear trac bar on the Fords.

Always get an alignment to make sure everything is correct and do you mods one at a time so you know what actually solved/help your issues.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
On most solid front axle (I am most familiar with DP's) you use CASTER SHIMS to adjust caster. No axle bending.

http://www.truckcomponentsonline.com/TRUCK-CASTER-SHIMS_c_316.html
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

lonewolf80
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had an alignment done on my 2000 Allegro. However, not all alignments are the same. If your front end is truly off the only way to align the solid front axle is to heat it and bend it with come along's to the proper specs. Then all front U-bolts should be replaced after the aligning. Same reason why many who disliked Ford trucks with the "Twin I Beam" front end. This will give you a true straight and tight front end.