cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full time soon / advice needed

brodon
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to go full time with our MH in Feb 2017. We plan to rent our home in Fl. Not sure when we plan to move back into home or even if we will. For now we need advice about mail, driver license, banks. Just read "Motorhome & RV Retirement Living", by Jerry Minchey. Gave me some good advice on many issues. Just not sure about mail and driver license. Have most bills sent email and pay online. Any help will be welcome. We are excited about full timing.
6 REPLIES 6

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
First things first, Kemo Sabe.

Do you want to keep Florida as you domicile state? If yes, then all you'll need is a mail forwarding service.

Since you'll be full timing, you can pick and choose your domicile State. We chose South Dakota because of their sales tax, 4% and no State income tax. Choose your domicile state wisely depending on your personal situation. Be sure to consider Medicare/Medical benefits as well. Also take into consideration insurance. You'll need full timers insurance which basically is your auto insurance and homeowner's insurance rolled into one. Considerably more expensive than just auto insurance. Once you've chosen a domicile state, select a mail forwarding service in that state and transfer all your 'stuff' to that address. i.e. bank statements, voter registration, auto registration, driver's licenses etc. I used the IRS guidelines which is what most states use to determine if you're "intent" is to make a certain state your domicile state. This avoids any confusion or misunderstandings if the tax man knocks on your door. You DO NOT have to own property in your domicile state but you CAN own property in other states.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
On mail, start calling all of the people that send you junk catalogs and other junk mail and ask to be taken off of their mailing lists. If there's no phone numbers on the junk mail, just Google their name XXX customer service and you'll almost always find them.

A lot of junk mail and catalogs are printed 4 - 6 months in advance and then delivered to the post office palletized with each piece in zip code sequence so the post office doesn't have to do any sorting, just ship them to the correct post office already in sequence for the delivering postal carrier. So get started on canceling the junk now.

Get everything else you can sent electronically that you can and you'll find that you really will have very little mail to deal with.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
If you already live in Florida, you already have a driver's license and I assume a bank. Set the bank account up to pay online, get a mail forwarder somewhere close, Escapee's has one there as well as many others. Try to get all the bills you have online and cut your mail down as low as you can, and go. Then have the mail forwarder send your accumulated mail when you want to where you want. You've already established residency in one of the best states for full timers.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever thought about looking into what the Escapees RV Club can offer. www.Escapees.com I went full-time last year and these are the people I went with. Check them out for yourself.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find a mail forewording service locally. There should be lots on FL as a lot of full timers register there. The level of service they offer varies, so figure out what your needs are and pick one that matches tour needs. Start now getting rid of stuff. Storage, while an option can get expensive in a hurry.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I use a private mail service in my home state of AZ.
She gives me a regular street address and sends my mail in priority mail box once a month as I request to wherever I happen to be.

Call me if you wish.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE