cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

full wall slideout issue - maybe

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Soo, last weekend, we went camping with some friends up in the mountains. Site we got to was not very level, really had to work the jacks, blocks to get the RV level. Tried to open the (full wall) slide out, it makes some strange noises, seems like its grinding on something, but does go out, although doesn't seem like it will go all the way out - In back, its all the way out, flush, but in front, the top corner isn't all the way out, its lacking about 3/4" and that corner will go no further out.

Anyway, doesn't seem like its an issue, not feeling any cold air or seeing any daylight from the top front corner that didn't appear to go all the way out, so we decide to leave it out, go on with camping trip and not worry about it until we get back. Was lot of wind, and rain one day (Friday), and we were watching the slide edges real close to see if any rain leaked in (or wind). There was neither, all was good. Stayed very warm inside, too (was cold that weekend in the mountains). Slideout went back in just fine the day we left to come home.

Soooo, took it to RV dealer yesterday to have it checked out. Today they call me, say there is absolutely nothing wrong with the slideout, it is working just fine. Indeed, I just checked it out in person, and it is working just fine now, like new. All they did, was lube the various parts (lock arms, rack/pinion gear, etc). We are left wondering what went wrong when we were out in the mountains last weekend, that is just fine now.

We have used this rig (Newmar Baystar, see signature) extensively in the 2 years we've owned it. We use it nearly year round, average about 9 or 10 trips a year. It has never sat for more than a month or so between trips. Have had almost zero issues with it up until this (and not even sure this counts as an 'issue').

I do remember that I had a hard time getting the rig leveled this last trip, was in a hurry to do such and may have not done a very good job leveling it. Wondering if that is all it was that caused this. I do know that full wall slideouts like this can be a bit finicky about getting things level before they are operated.

Thoughts? Should I be worried, or just chalk this up to, 'Relax, and just do a better job of leveling next time'?
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")
15 REPLIES 15

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Sounds like the whole structure was under abnormal stress from the leveling attempt. I would probably put it in my memory as a possible issue but not to be concerned unless it happens again.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup