Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas Milage for 1996 Damon Challenger

morrow282
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,

I have been searching and am not able to find it anywhere on the internet, but I was wondering 2 things.

1. What size is the gas tank on a 1996 Damon Challenger?

2. What's the Miles Per Gallon?

This info will help my wife and I decide between two Motorhomes we are looking at.

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
1. There is a big difference in fuel consumption, reliability and maintenance between a 80's carburetor engine and a mid 90's fuel injection.

2. Calculate how many miles you intend traveling a year and then work out the difference in fuel cost between whatever rigs you decide to consider

3. Mid 90's will bring you a slide - if you are fulltiming you REALLY need at least a living room slide

morrow282
Explorer
Explorer
Yes! We can't wait to get on the road. You can find all my books byCLICKING HERE Thanks.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
morrow282 wrote:
My wife and I are hoping to live in it full time. I'm a novelist and my books are starting to pick up a bit. We plan to hit the road in April 2014, so we're buying now in hopes of having time to add some cosmetic updates. We plan to live on the road for a year or two. Then we hope to start having kids.
Sounds like a great life life to me! What's your pen name on your books for sale!

morrow282
Explorer
Explorer
I guess, what I meant to add there was that we needed more living space than a pop up camper, but with the budget of something a little older. (like a mid 90's Class A)

The Class A we are looking at is an 89 Georgieboy and gets 5 miles to the gallon. But we just recently found the 96 Challenger in the same price range. On long trips, averaging 7.5 vs. 5 makes a big difference!

morrow282
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are hoping to live in it full time. I'm a novelist and my books are starting to pick up a bit. We plan to hit the road in April 2014, so we're buying now in hopes of having time to add some cosmetic updates. We plan to live on the road for a year or two. Then we hope to start having kids.

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB

If you try out a motorhome you will wonder how you ever managed with a popup.

Exactly the same as when you got the popup you wondered how people ever use a tent.

Each stage introduces more luxury and convenience. You can use more primitive items but as we get older we appreciate the additional convenience and cost becomes somewhat less of an issue.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess it sure makes one wonder if all that interior room is really worth it haha...

7MPG for a 450MILE trip to Gatlinburg from here would cost me $257 at $4 a gal cost. Then you got all of the headaches of driving down the road including all of the required maintenance for long term upkeep. It certainly is a large money hole for sisters MH setup... Only thing worse might be owning a large boat haha...

My worse case MPH on towing my OFF-ROAD POPUP with my 2010 F150 truck is 18MPG so this would cost me $100 for fuel for the same trip. That extra $150 would sure buy more beans to eat... My truck setup actually gets about the same gas mileage whether it is pulling my no wind drag POPUP or not.

There is only the two of us now and We have thought we always wanted to at least get a truck camper with more room inside but money is money I guess...

Our setup has all the modern things inside including shower and cassette pottie. Just alittle short on moving around space. Maybe alot less moving around space haha... I always tell the wife this makes us live outside the trailer more when camping...

I keep trying to convince myself we are happy with what we got - not sure I am winning...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

morrow282
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not 100% sure on the motor. I should find out by Monday. Thanks for your help!

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
Specs

Tanks size is 80 gallons

Fuel Consumption - between 6mpg and 9mpg depending upon terrain, speed and dash AC usage. Average 7.5mpg

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
Tank size is probably either 75 or 80 gallons. MPG will be determined on how you drive, what motor you have, weight on MH, where you drive, give us some details on the MH you are looking at and we can give you a better idea. I would GUESS, because I have no real information other than make, model, and year, that you probably have either a 454 or 460 and will get about 6 to 7 mpg
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS