cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas mileage E450

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
Could some of you give me an estimate on the gas mileage I would expect on a E450 Class C 32 foot long?

I realize driving conditions, weight, personal driving habits all are factors however, I would like to get other's opinions. The current owner says he gets 9-10 mpg - no toad.
60 REPLIES 60

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
This gives me about an 8 percent error but also boosts me to 11 mpg @ 48 mph.

I hope you are figuring in that 8 percent error when calculating your gas mileage too. The ODO likely is also off by the same amount and can not be used (uncorrected) for MPG calculations.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Phil,

Wow what a memory you have. Mine are 235/85r16 which replaced the OEM 225/75R16 This gives me about an 8% error but also boosts me to 11 mpg @ 48 mph.

pnichols wrote:

Don ... I've never reset my E450's speedometer.

According to the tracking of our Garmin navigator unit, our speedometer reads about 0.5 MPH low ... which is pretty much trivial. I don't tightly track our gas mileage and drive well below speed limits, so speedometer accuracy is not that important.

However, I believe that your over-stock-diameter tires probably introduce a more (serious) speedometer error? (My 215/85R16 tires are only 1.2 inches larger diameter than the stock tires that ship on most Chevy/Ford/Sprinter based Class C motorhomes.)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Phil,

Were you able to have your speedometer/odometer reset so the readings are accurate? Or did you just ignore the difference?

pnichols wrote:

Nevertheless I do still improve our V10's fuel mileage just a bit by using larger diameter tires on our Class C (to make overdrive even more "over") and by cruising between 57 and 60 MPH.

Don ... I've never reset my E450's speedometer.

According to the tracking of our Garmin navigator unit, our speedometer reads about 0.5 MPH low ... which is pretty much trivial. I don't tightly track our gas mileage and drive well below speed limits, so speedometer accuracy is not that important.

However, I believe that your over-stock-diameter tires probably introduce a more (serious) speedometer error? (My 215/85R16 tires are only 1.2 inches larger diameter than the stock tires that ship on most Chevy/Ford/Sprinter based Class C motorhomes.)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I use Excel spreadsheet to track mileage on all of my vehicles, a tab for each. You can get apps that will do that too. I keep track of miles, quantity, total ODO reading, what station, brand, location, etc and it figures the cost per mile also. I can tell you if one station gives me unusually bad or good mileage over other stations or gas.

Sounds OCD but I started it in Oct of '11 when a new to me car that I bought was particularity difficult to fill up consistently from one fillup to the next. I can see the distinct difference between summer blend and winter blend gasoline and tell you within a week when they switched.

It is now something that I just do, and its kinda neat to see what the car will actually do.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
To jrobert- do you ever get extended time on flat windless interstate going 55-62? For me those miles are what pulls the average up. Otherwise, most other driving conditions are pretty dismal for MPG. Headwinds, city stop and go, mountains with acceleration and braking, etc.

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
Well i worked for my money and i like to take care of it any way i can and the more gas mileage the better.That said i must be the worst driver or the worst something.I have had several motor homes over the past 30 years except for the Toyota i never get more than 7 and i drive 55 or 62 on interstate brake slowly accelerate slowly and try to get the best mileage i can but that is my best.I have a 2008 32ft.four winds and i live in Tn.Do a lot of long trips. Tell me why i get so much less mileage than everyone else.Lets go with the sarcasm.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Phil,

Were you able to have your speedometer/odometer reset so the readings are accurate? Or did you just ignore the difference?

pnichols wrote:
Nevertheless I do still improve our V10's fuel mileage just a bit by using larger diameter tires on our Class C (to make overdrive even more "over") and by cruising between 57 and 60 MPH.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim Shoe wrote:
I have no idea what kind of mileage I get on my 'C' pulling a Jeep toad four down, but I know its lousy. After all, I'm driving a house. Compared to hotel/motels in a car, its cheap and cleaner.
Advantages? I have my "stuff" with me. I know when the sheets were changed last. Not just top sheet on the bottom and a clean sheet on top. I don't have to eat in restaurants unless I want to. I don't have to wonder when the toilet was cleaned last. I don't have to wear shower shoes to avoid athlete's foot or shoes to keep my socks from sticking to the carpet. Or deal with "free TV" that gets two local stations. Or wonder about the "mystery meat" that was put in front of me in a restaurant that was highly recommended at check in and run (as it turns out) by a relative of the owner/operator. Obviously, I traveled for the company when I was still working. No thanks.

Very well put ... and I agree 110%!!

By stretching our gas mileage we can buy more souvenirs on our trips. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea what kind of mileage I get on my 'C' pulling a Jeep toad four down, but I know its lousy. After all, I'm driving a house. Compared to hotel/motels in a car, its cheap and cleaner.
Advantages? I have my "stuff" with me. I know when the sheets were changed last. Not just top sheet on the bottom and a clean sheet on top. I don't have to eat in restaurants unless I want to. I don't have to wonder when the toilet was cleaned last. I don't have to wear shower shoes to avoid athlete's foot or shoes to keep my socks from sticking to the carpet. Or deal with "free TV" that gets two local stations. Or wonder about the "mystery meat" that was put in front of me in a restaurant that was highly recommended at check in and run (as it turns out) by a relative of the owner/operator. Obviously, I traveled for the company when I was still working. No thanks.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
All of these numbers are exactly the reason I bought a '07 (on and '06 chassis) WBO View (a Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter 3500 cab/chassis) I have early on decided I would not accept single digit fuel mileage. I haven't used the View yet, bought last fall and been slowly fixing and cleaning on it, and about ready to take the first trip, but on the trip up from JAX I got over 14 mpg on the first tank full and the first hour of it was done at about 70 mph before I slowed down. Third tankful I have been burning out of it driving locally as I need to drop the tank to repair a leak at the pump mounting seal, but staying at 55 and below, the mileage on this third tank full is clearly better than the second tank full, which was 17.2 (I went 248 miles to exactly 1/2 full mark) on this tank full, I went 300 even to the 1/2 tank mark, so I could be close to 20 mpg.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Just completed about 1600 miles in my 2008 29' Winnebago Outlook with V-10. For the whole trip I averaged just under 7.8 MPG which I thought was good. I was not towing. Like others, 62 MPH seems to be the sweet spot at about 2300 RPM.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

beeman1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you overdrive. When you buy toys you have to know what you are getting to . The good the bad the whatever. Just enjoy life to the best you can:)

1rickw
Explorer
Explorer
about 6.5 - 7 Towing a 2500 # Honda. I got 10.5 once, but I was coasting downhill. Mine is a 26 Ft
2004 Jamboree 26Q

+ great wife to travel with

:B
2012 Honda Fit towing 4 down with BrakeBuddy

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks overdrive75 very good advise. It indicates exactly what I am thinking.

Saw the E450 Winnebago again today. It would solve some problems that we have while traveling. That is why it is so attractive. However, I am not sure how much I will be able to use it.

Gas mileage is a factor in my decision and I appreciate all the responses I have received, but it is not the only or even the main concern that I have.

It is something that will work itself out over the next few weeks. I won't rush the decision. I do enjoy my Roadtrek.

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
My father once gave me advice on buying toys. RV's and Boats, that advice, If you are concerned about how much fuel it uses, you really have no business buying. These things use gas and alot of it. Just cause you can afford to buy it doesn't mean you can afford to run it.