cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

(Gasoline) fuel injector cleaning

dan23
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have access and would like to remove the gasoline fuel injectors from a Chevy 454 for cleaning.

I'm not talking about running a cleaner through the system at home, I'm looking to remove the injectors for professional cleaning using chemicals and ultrasound, then tested.

Has anyone here had a positive experience with a company that provides this service? A company in the northeast US preferred...

Thanks.
22 REPLIES 22

dan23
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
By the time you take it somewhere and pay their labor rates, it might be easier to just change them out yourself. REBUILT injectors for your engine are less than $30 each, plus a core charge that you get back when you send in your old injectors.
Changing the injectors is not much harder than changing a set of plugs and I think you will end up being dollars ahead if you do it yourself.

There will be no labor costs except for the cleaning and bench testing. Do you know a source for rebuilt injectors? $30 is not that much more than the cost of the clean and test service. Are rebuilt injectors a NAPA or other parts house standard available item?

Thanks.

dan23
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick replies.

However, "I currently have access" means it's already apart for another reason; and "I'm not talking about running a cleaner through the system at home, I'm looking to remove the injectors for professional cleaning using chemicals and ultrasound, then tested." means I don't want to do a home remedy.

"If not, why fix something that ain't broke?"
Trust me, I'm not looking to spend money for no reason, and yes, it is broke. I've already seen the inside of the cap and rotor and know their replacement history.

I did an internet search and found one company, but they are in Ohio. Last time I sent parts to an Ohio business, things did not go well. A three day turn around ended up over three months with a lift tied up holding a motorcycle without wheels and $2000 would be the replacement cost. I got the Ohio Attorney General's office involved, which turned out pretty useless since Ohio consumer protection laws a weak at best. I ended up paying an Ohio attorney $400 to set things right and even then it was a struggle. It took me three separate shipments to get all my parts back.

Musicman
Explorer
Explorer
I have had great results with Sea Foam.
Add the correct amount for the size of the fuel tank and drive.
Best price I have found is at Walmart, half the price that the auto parts stores charge.
Musicman
FMCA #F333309
'97 Winnebago Vectra
'01 Blazer LT

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
By the time you take it somewhere and pay their labor rates, it might be easier to just change them out yourself. REBUILT injectors for your engine are less than $30 each, plus a core charge that you get back when you send in your old injectors.
Changing the injectors is not much harder than changing a set of plugs and I think you will end up being dollars ahead if you do it yourself.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
first thing I,d be changing is rotor cap and wires. look inside the cap you,ll see the contacts burnt .

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Why? Is the motor running badly? Mis-fire? "Stagger"? Anything like that? If not, why fix something that ain't broke?

Not being the mechanic-whiz that i thought I might be, if I had a problem with the motor and could tie it down to the injectors, I would first use one of the commercially available store bought products. If that didn't clean things up, then I would seriously look at removing and cleaning them. Then...I would look at how much would it cost to remove, clean and re-install vs. replacement. (Do your own work? Then that's a moot point)

Maybe something simple for a 1998 motorhome (or ANY motorhome, really)...just take it for a long 60 mph drive. Maybe that's all you need.

g'luck!

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
The stuff I use is Stanadyne Additives little more money
but worth the extra.
I use this stuff in all my gas powered stuff(car,truck,lawnmoer,gen) and my diesel
truck.
Just buy the right stuff for the job you want it to do
http://stanadyneadditives.com/
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile