cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator replacement

bartrak
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1995 gulf stream conquest class c that I need to replace the generator.I would prefer a Onan but can't find one that will fit the opening. I removed a genrac, I have an opening of 30 1/2" wide by 16" high. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
8 REPLIES 8

bartrak
Explorer
Explorer
Well sometime is pays to keep checking, turned out the avr was bad along with dirty rotor where brushes contact it, Gen is working as designed now, saved me a bundle.

bartrak
Explorer
Explorer
My Generac is the NP 50g 4500 watt. I have been messing with it since I took it out and found the brushes were not producing, cleaned slip ring and now have a steady 8vdc. It will work momentarily then quit I think the avr is bad. May be worth investing a little and just keep what I have. The generator is is a 1995 model but has very few hours on it. The rv only has 7200 miles on it and i have put about a 1000 of them on it since I have had it. Rv belong to an older couple and he had cancer and passed away. Has been under cover since day one. So I may be having secon thoughts.

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
you don't mention what model generac you took out of your RV, but hopefully the Onan 4000 Microquiet will fit in the available space.
The Onan has 1 30amp circuit breaker, so that is probably smaller than the Generac. It will easily run one ac unit plus charger/converter.
If you run microwave or hair dryer, you may have to practice some energy management (turn off ac unit!) And you will probably have to extend battery cables, fuel line, a.c. wiring, as all Generac hookups are on right side as you are looking at generator, Onan hookups on left side.
Onan has an optional hanger mount bracket that might help with the installation. Good luck with your project.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Article if the July MotorHome magazine about putting an Onan RV OG 4000 in a class C.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
As installed in my Winnebago, the factory selected Onan 4000 Microlite also will not fit through the access door in the side of the RV. The generator is removed and replaced through the bottom (mounted on rails, the compartment has no floor).

The only thing that has to regularly fit through the access opening is the removable part of the generator cover.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the manuals for the ONAN 4KY series. The 4000 series mentioned above has the following minimum compartment size:

Length (parallel to the side of the coach) - 30.5"

Width (perpendicular to the side) - 20"

Height - 14.4"

So this very popular generator should mount in your compartment, with over an inch to spare at the top.

Just be sure you provide the specified air flow.

Nice thing about 4KY is the Muffler is inside its housing also. All you need clearance for under it, is the Exhaust Pipe.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

bartrak
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I will Check them out !!!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
An Onan Microlite series is about the smallest.
I am guessing the dimensions you gave are for the compartment.
RV QG 2500
RV QG 3600 lp/4000
Most Onans are installed using a pan installed from the bottom.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker