cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator runs great but won't run A/C or fridge

Roscooriginal
Explorer
Explorer
My generator runs great. But, it won't power my fridge or run my A/C. I have a 2001 Rexhall Vision 29. Only has 20K miles. And yes, at 59 yrs old, I'm new at this! Would love any thoughts. I had to top off the battery's as they were low, could they just be shot?
9 REPLIES 9

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
My genie is an Onan 5500 on a 2002 Itasca Sunrise 32 foot. Had a problem with the generator running fine but shutting down after I got to full load (both AC's running). Took some advice from this site and changed the air filter, changed the oil, and replaced both fuel filters. It now runs like a champ with everything on, (even the microwave). This was a cheap, easy fix as the parts on amazon and at the local RV shop were not that expensive.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
And as one guy did if the breakers and cord do not fix it is to bang the transfer switch lightly with a hammer. At times the automatic can stick as I understand it.

Or (carefully) vacuum out the electrocuted ants like I had to do. Turns out a bunch of cooked ants provide pretty good insulation on the contacts in the transfer switch.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
And as one guy did if the breakers and cord do not fix it is to bang the transfer switch lightly with a hammer. At times the automatic can stick as I understand it.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a typical 30AMP Electrical layout for the trailers. Might give you an idea of what power sources run different things inside the trailer. The 120VAC and 12VDC Power Distribution Panel is the center main component of the electrical system functions...

Most folks new to the RV's don;t realize what things runs from only the 12VDC side of things... Requires a good charged battery when using off the power grid which is powered by the converter/charger unit when connected to 120VAC Shore Power or Generator.

When running off the battery without being connected to shore power alot of things in the RV will drain the battery rather quickly. These are called parasitic drains. ALot of folks will disconnect their batteries when sitting and not being used...

We always check our batteries alot here to make sure they have fluids and are at least 90% charged at all times by just looking at their resting DC VOLTAGE which we like to see around 12.5-6VDC..

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Rexhall.

Do what Mr. Wizard said, I had a similar problem a few years ago. Resetting the breakers solved the problem.

MrWizard wrote:
on the side of the generrator are (2) circuit breakers
push them off, then back on to reset them.

You may want to read The 12 Volt Side of Life.. It will help understand the 12 volt system and batteries.

And, when you figure out the problem with your generator, please post again and let us know how you corrected it.

There's a lot to learn about RV's. The good news is it's all fun.
Well, maybe except for the black tank issuer.

Enjoy your travels.

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem with my old motorhome. $110 and a hour of my labor replacing the transfer switch and it was like new again. Look at the breakers and listen for the transfer switch, switching over.

MrWizard
on the side of the generrator are (2) circuit breakers
push them off, then back on to reset them

also check the compartment where your shore cord is stored
there might be a female outlet there for you to plug the male shore cord into
some RV's use this instead of an automatic transfer switch
that outlet if it exists, is connected to the generator
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
If it will not power the Frig, it might not be able to power anything. The refer is not a very big load
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does it power anything 110 volt?
Traveling with my best friend my wife!