cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Genny oil

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
Is synthetic oil a good idea for my 5.5.kw generator?
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad
25 REPLIES 25

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sam Spade wrote:
T bone wrote:

Yes. But not necessary.

I use the same oil that goes in the engine.
In my case that is Rotella T6 Synthetic.

By the way Sam, he is running an air cooled gas generator. I wouldn't run anything else but synthetic oil.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
T bone wrote:

Yes. But not necessary.

I use the same oil that goes in the engine.
In my case that is Rotella T6 Synthetic.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once it's out of warranty and then only if you'll change it every 250 hours.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
EV2 wrote:

It is an excellent choice for any engine that may sit for periods of inactivity.

And for any air cooled engine running inside an enclosure like the OP's genny. On a 90+ degree day, the oil temp will be well over 250 degrees.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
"In theory" the synthetics says you get longer oil change periods as the only real advantage.

Actually the major advantage is that true synthetic begins to break down at a much higher temperature. There fore it is superior in any application that has high temps. It is also claimed that it is superior in remaining on surfaces prior to startup. Most high performance engines with close tolerances require it for warranty and the Mercedes diesels even require their specs for warranty. It also is superior for lubrication when condensation may accumulate.

It is an excellent choice for any engine that may sit for periods of inactivity.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
T bone wrote:
I just want to do what is best for it,I don't want any trouble !!!!

No trouble. I run it in all my engins. It is authorised by Onan/Cummins. I want the best protection I can get. Will one of those people who say you don't need the protection be around to help with any repairs?
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
All oils will do an excellent job. "In theory" the synthetics says you get longer oil change periods as the only real advantage. I am going to change the oil on the same schedule whether it comes from a dinosaur or the laboratory. YMMV!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I would run Synth in any newer engine, especially one like in a generator that will be running for long periods under load. I like to feel safe if I have to run longer between changes, with no worries about the oil failing.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

T_bone1
Explorer
Explorer
I just want to do what is best for it,I don't want any trouble !!!!
2017 Georgetown 329S
2015 Toyota Tacoma toad

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. Unless you have money you like to throw away.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

George_Beggs
Explorer
Explorer
It will not hurt
, but not necessary.
George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10