Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting ready to buy a Winnebago Sunstar 29VE Class A

Jim102
Explorer
Explorer
To all,

Well getting ready to get into a Class A, just me and the wife. What is everyone's thought on this unit? The size and price is about right for us and we like the layout.... Then comes what kind of tow car, has anyone tried the idea of renting a car where you set up for a week or so?

Thanks,
Jim
2018 Jayco Precept 29V Class A
Air Force 1969 - 1973
20 REPLIES 20

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
On our retirement trip we elected not to tow to keep things as simple as possible. Plus, neither of our cars at the time were towable 4 down. We spent $3000 in rental cars over 6 months and discovered;

1. We missed a lot of local attractions along the way
2. We were picking campgrounds that were within Enterprise's "We'll Pick You Up" radius. Not the best criteria.

I bought a used Equinox and had it set up for towing. Found a used Blue Ox towbar and RVi Brake on Craigs List. The enter tow setup was half the cost of rental cars on the trip. I'll never go back to renting.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
The layout is the most important thing and if you both like it that is great.

If you decide to tow 4 down Remco will tell you what cars are towable and what is necessary to make them towable if they need modifications.

Remco Website
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
With our first RV we did not tow and rented one time. When we visited relatives they usually loaned us a car. Otherwise it was a pain not having one. A year later we traded RV's and started towing. Wouldn't RV any other way.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

soren
Explorer
Explorer
We have put 60K miles on a 33' Winny Vista in the last 3-4 years. We tow a 2014 CRV using a Ready Brake set-up and wireless LED lighting. I can't imagine having something as big as a Class A without a toad. IMHO, when it comes to toads, the smaller the better. We have been in tight cities, like Savannah, New Orleans, Charleston, etc.... Where we headed in to the cities in the morning, while the Fifth wheel owners in the campground walked past their dualies, and waited for the shuttle bus. Renting is an option while you get used to the whole motorhome experience, but, if you are like most MH owners, it won't be long until you are shopping for a toad. Enjoy your new rig, good luck.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
We travelled for years without a tow vehicle. Then got a dolly to take our car. Sold it after a while. Did not like how restrictive having a toad is. Harder to find a place to park along the way. Ended up not stopping at places we'd like to see as it would entail driving further to find a parking place, unhooking the toad, driving back, then back to the RV, rehooking. Most Cracker Barrel restaurants have RV parking but it is just double-length spots behind the restaurant that are too short for a RV and toad. I can park our bare Class A most anywhere but with a toad, you really have to hunt for spots. If we are staying somewhere, we rent a car. Much less hassle. I never worry about ending up some place where I have to turn around or back up. Might take me a bunch of forwards and backwards, but I CAN do it. Make that mistake with a toad in the rain and it gets unpleasant.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Are you selling the old set up, truck included? For a tow vehicle you may want to consider a small truck as a daily driver for yourself and to double as a toad, Little GMC Canyon for example. 4x manual I believe can tow 4 down.