Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting to Class A

Seeyal
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning/afternoon,
Newbie here... I live in Louisiana but hve been working in Houston for the past 7 years, throwing money away in apartment rentals. While I am tired of apartments, I do not want to get into ownership of a townhouse/condo either, but rather want to get a mobile personal space.
My wife has a gymnastic school back in Louisiana and I work 4 days in Houston. Towards the end of the year, she starts the gym competion season - about 5 months and is required to travel multiple week-ends all around the State.
I am planning to buy a Class A RV - It would only be me while in Houston, but a maximum of 4 when we travel for gymnastics.
The business would cover 1/2 of the cost in depreciation- I.e. tax deductible, and the rest would be personal.
I was looking at used - I.e. my budget is between 150K and 200K.
I consider Cummings deisel a must...
I also consider Onan generators a must...

To answer the moderator:
1/ Mostly parked
2/ Satelite TV is really the only feature I want while driving, and a relatively decent inside sitting area.
3/ Max sleeping-4
4/ 3-4 nights per week Houston RV park - about 45 weeks/years plus about 8 week ends min traveling in Louisiana.
5/ Small/Medium storage - I still have a house...
6/ I like quality
7/ Minimum counter space - by myself in Houston and eating out on the road
8/ Yes - W & D
9/ Dinette is fine
10/I like the bathroom separate from the sink and the toilet closed in
11/I want comfortable chairs/sofa and king size bed
12/I do not want to lose speed on hills, looking at Cummings 500 HP?
13/No, diesel will be deductible as company expenses
14/1000 miles should be about the range I am looking for
15/Normal, as I mostly will be in RV parks most of the time.
16/No pass through for long items. Fishing canes fold - no kayaks,...etc..
17/Up like a bus
18/Soundproofing and insolation is VERY important - Hot summers in Houston
19/Entertainment inside and outside is important
20/1 Large TV in living room available while traveling, one large for outside entertainment and one in the bedroom
21/Speakers - Ice chest will do while camping.

Here you go,... With that said... I am looking at Newmar - 2008/2009 or Allegro...
What else would you recommend...
Thank you for your time with this newbie.

Regards,

GP
23 REPLIES 23

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
I was/am stumped by the first post my self. Can someone pull up the questions here?

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're on the right track looking at Newmar and Tiffin. Either one fits the bill nicely.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
imgoin4it wrote:
I would stop looking for motor homes other than Newmar. A Dutch Star or Kountry star which was last made in 2008, I think would fit your needs very well. Just need to check out what floor plans are out there on the market.
Dutch Stars are still made http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2014-Newmar-Dutch-Star-4018-111811916

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
so you knew exactly what/where the questions of the moderator were located.
bumpy

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
I used to think this was a good place for useful info but it seems the idiots are out in force. I'm pretty new myself and his post was clear to me.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
I always offer the same advise, buy used. Let someone else lose the first couple of years depreciation. That is where the big bite is that hurts the most.

For that budget you will have a ton of coaches to chose from. As someone else said a good place to start is PPL there in Houston. There are coaches out there that are 2 to 3 years old that look like new. Ours was 7 years old when we bought it for about one third of your budget. Found it on RVTrader.com. It had been kept in a heated garage all of it life when not being used and was in mint condition. The Cummins is a great engine and you will have no problem finding one(may not be a 500hp but that is a lot of engine), just get a floorplan you like and go with it. I only have a 330hp but I always get where I want to go.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Seeyal wrote:
darsben wrote:
TOO BAD we do not know the questions
But to answer number 6 I like quality in my women too and 19 They should be entertaining inside and outside. 8 Wining and Dining is important
Answer 17 I go up more like a PUP tent wish it were like a bus

I apoogize for my futile attempt to get a good conversation going but I think I would get better answer of a log... To see the questions, see the mod list in his informative posts,... but I am sure you know everything don't you, so continue on pulling...

so we have to guess what/where these are and locate them. poor attempt at conversation, IMHO. and the sarcasm could be dropped.
bumpy

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I would stop looking for motor homes other than Newmar. A Dutch Star or Kountry star which was last made in 2008, I think would fit your needs very well. Just need to check out what floor plans are out there on the market.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Guys,

Lighten up. Remember when you were a newbie.

Seeyal, If you are in Houston, a good place to start narrowing down the list is at PPL in Houston at 59 south at beltway 8: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/diesel-motorhomes.php

Most are consignment units, so they will cover the whole range from well cared for to rough. But it will help you narrow down the search.

Then, with more specific questions, you will (hopefully) get better answers.

The issue with vague questions about what coach is best is that most will just recommend the brand they have.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/