cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Git Rot versus Elmer's Rotted Wood Stabilizer

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Went to Lowe's yesterday for Git Rot...did not have, but did find Elmer's Rotted Wood Stabilizer. I would appreciate hearing from you if you have experience with Elmer's: good or bad. Thanks!!
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
5 REPLIES 5

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for CPES. Incredibly good.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
Living on Long Island in a shore community my whole life and around boats a good part of my life, I saw plenty of rotted wood. Git Rot has been the mainstay cure for rotted wood on boats. It really works great.

It is readily available in marine stores online. Here is one link Git Rot
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, Mike, then another alternative...
RotDoctor/DrRot
I used their "CPES" on a project. A couple points:

1. The product must penetrate deeply on the first application. Otherwise, the wood will be "waterproofed" against further application. Those application(s) won't reach the inner recesses of the rot.

2. RotDoctor's CPES is TOXIC. Highly evaporative so it really gets into the air where you're working. Requires tons of ventilation.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Just to complicate the decision I have had good luck with Minwax Wood Hardener; probably the same stuff. Once the wood is hardened I use Minwax Wood Filler which hardens to be able to be filed, drilled, painted.

Dick_B...doesn't complicate at all...gives me one more option to explore...I'll check it out...THANKS!!!!
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just to complicate the decision I have had good luck with Minwax Wood Hardener; probably the same stuff. Once the wood is hardened I use Minwax Wood Filler which hardens to be able to be filed, drilled, painted.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)