cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going from a Norcold 1200, trying to make a electric one fit

tporter
Explorer
Explorer
I asked a question a couple days ago regarding inverters. Now that I have that question answered I went shopping for a new refrigerator to replace our Norcold 1200. I can't find a refrigerator that will fit flush where the Norcold went. The closest one that I can find will stick out about 5". If you went from a Norcold to an electric refrigerator were you able to find one that would fit flush in the opening? If not what did you do? The new refrigerator isn't going into a slide if it makes any difference.

Thank you
21 REPLIES 21

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced one in a 2008 Allegro Bus with a 2 door 21 cu ft Kitchen Aid we got from Lowes. You can go to A J Madison to get a good cut on all sizes and makes/models that are available. Their sorting engine is the best I found. Check the rear of your fridge compartment to see if some of the baffling can be removed. Tiffin had some in there to make the Norcold fit properly. I did have to lower the floor a couple of inches and also drop a CB panel under it but the fridge fit in the same width hole. Some folks are using Samsung counter depth units, but I got some unflattering info about Samsung product support and their high cost of controller boards in their refrigerators. That's why we went with a Kitchen Aid.

Good luck with your mod. What ever you choose, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
tporter.....A bunch of us are using the Samsung RF197 French door refer. It's an 18 cubic foot with ice maker. It fits perfectly depth and width, but is about 6" taller. If you have a cabinet or dead space above or below your Norcold, it's an easy install. The best part is the Samsung works well with a MSW inverter. The RF197 draws about 2 amps when running, which is low compared to others.

This is a link to the post I did on my install Samsung RF197
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

wilco
Explorer
Explorer
Google "counter-depth" fridges, it might turn up something. These things do exist, are more expensive and are often not found in local stores (ie special order). I went thru this for my new kitchen in the stick house. This won't work for the RV, but the double-door IKEA/Whirlpool I got for the house 28" deep vs. 34" for the standard fridge was $800 more for a virtually identical fridge, except for the depth.
tfw

tporter
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis, that's what I'm running into. 6" of the fridge sticking out. Do you have an electric fridge or a norcold?

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
GMCK154X4 wrote:
Haier from Lowes.

This the same fridge I bought. At least the same brand and store. My opening was 24" by 60" and the fridge I bought was like 23 and 3/4 by 59 and 1/2. If you didn't know better you would have thought it was made for my 05 cardinal 5th wheel. My haier was 10.3 cubic feet which was bigger than my propane fridge by 2.3 cubic feet.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The largest Haier I found was 8.1 cu ft. Quite a difference in volume for us. All other fridges are counter top depth of around 30"...the Norcold is 24...I didn't want 6" of fridge in my hallway....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

GMCK154X4
Explorer
Explorer
Haier from Lowes.