cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from Gas To Diesel(?)

BEisler
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I am sure this has been bantered about quite a bit but thought I would start a new thread on this that may compile a lot of good input all in one thread.

I am close to making the move from gas to diesel (pusher). What do I need to know about the operation, maintenance and idiosyncrasies, etc. in making this change? For example, in cold weather do I need put a fuel additive in to keep the diesel from gelling (I believe this was an issue many years ago).

Some things I heave gleaned just from scanning previous posts are that diesel can be a little more costly for maintenance but easier to drive with much better handling.

Whatever you can think of that a diesel newbie should know - please share!
Bill the Iceman
2015 Sportscoach Cross Country 360DL
North of Indianapolis
31 REPLIES 31

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oil Changes are more but you don't have to do them as often.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
BEisler wrote:
Ok, I am sure this has been bantered about quite a bit but thought I would start a new thread on this that may compile a lot of good input all in one thread.

I am close to making the move from gas to diesel (pusher). What do I need to know about the operation, maintenance and idiosyncrasies, etc. in making this change? For example, in cold weather do I need put a fuel additive in to keep the diesel from gelling (I believe this was an issue many years ago). NO....winter/summer blends handle that issue

Some things I heave gleaned just from scanning previous posts are that diesel can be a little more costly for maintenance but easier to drive with much better handling. YES/NO
Oil changes cost more because more oil capacity
Fuel filters cost a bit more

But overall......egh!

Hauling/moving a load......Diesel is King!

Whatever you can think of that a diesel newbie should know - please share!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31