cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Bad or Ugly........I'm a Diesel Pusher owner.

Hotwheelbill
Explorer
Explorer
I got a phone call from my sells contact at Lazy Days yesterday morning. Bill McVey, had remembered I was looking for a cheap diesel and here is what I got.
1998 Georgie Boy 35'. 330HP Cummins (It is an early 1998 with the manual P7100 injection pump), 6sp Allison, Freight Liner Chassis with 78k miles. They just put a new fuel line and four new rotors, pads and calipers on as well as two new house bats. Interior is worn but very usable and a couple of leak places, but the rubber roof has been recovered not too long ago. Everything works. LP Genny.
It needs tires, shocks and the levelers are chained up with the lights blinking on the dash.
I did not make a killing, but for 15000, I am happy for a starter Pusher.
Picks to come later.
Now for the questions.
Tires for 22.5 Alloys?
Remember, I will have this home for only about 3 yrs by my plans.

Shocks?
I have looked and think Koni is perfered over Bilsteins.
How do I look up what will fit?
13 REPLIES 13

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Which Cummins is it? The 8.3 would be fine, the 5.9 might struggle a bit.
2014 American Eagle

Hotwheelbill
Explorer
Explorer
deandec wrote:
Check the tire sidewalls, inner sides and outer sides, for bulges or cracks before driving the rig home. Also look for tread separation indications.

I am putting tires on at Olin Mott Tire in Tampa. Gator Ford gave me the number as they can not do 22.5 tires.

I have not been able to pull up Koni number so I went with Bilstein. Oh well.

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Check the tire sidewalls, inner sides and outer sides, for bulges or cracks before driving the rig home. Also look for tread separation indications.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
Koni's yes, Hankooks work well.

Hotwheelbill
Explorer
Explorer
OK, GOT IT.

Toyo tires on the way with Gator Ford.
Found out I have a XCA Chassis and used ESHOCKS site to pull Bilstein part number and using as cross reference.

Hotwheelbill
Explorer
Explorer
Hotwheelbill wrote:
fcooper wrote:
When I bought shocks, e shocks had the best price. It's one place to check.
e shocks

For tires, I've been very pleased with the Sumitomo's, but I'd also use firestone, bridgestone, continentals, etc....there's many good brands out there.

If the old tires are good enough to get you home, consider loading like for a trip and getting 4 corner weights to see if the current tire size is adequate. Sometimes one corner is much heavier and the originally spec'd tire on that corner is running right at or beyond its load limit. Since you're about to buy tires, it is the ideal time to correct that situation.

To get it home without listening to the jacks down warning, you can find and pull the fuse to the jack system.

Since you have a Freightliner chassis, you can get some great free help when you have chassis problems or questions. Freightliner maintains a helpdesk that will provide assistance at no charge. Have the last 6 digits of your VIN number handy when you call them. The Freightliner help desk phone number is
1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357. I've also purchased parts from them.

Good luck and have fun with your new motorhome.

Fred

Thank you. Good info.
I have used Eshocks before, but I just don't know what size shocks or how to find out.
I will drive it home Wed. It will be a long trip to Jax and I dont want to take I75. I may cut up threw the Forest.
I will not be able to weigh it. What tire range would be safe to just go with?

Thank you again for this info. I called and found stock tires are 235/80-22.5. Load G
But all I have is a FL part number for the shocks.
I tried the front part number on Koni site and did not work.

So, anyone with shock advice or how to cross reference 16-14667-000?

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Use all all-position tire. Need to know what size tire is on it now. If it were me and the tires are more than 7 - 8 years old, I would get them replaced before I left the Tampa area.

Hankook is good, as well as the others mentioned... Bridgestone,
Toyo, Michelin....
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
A fellow camper behind me said he saved a bundle on tires even with the discount at FMCA by going to Continentals which are used by many truck drivers. I know nothing about them, but its a rock you may want to look under.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Hotwheelbill
Explorer
Explorer
Also, I don't see myself running in the mountains in winter or forest camping. Should hwy tread on the rear be fine, or is it best to go ahead with a little AT Tread?

Hotwheelbill
Explorer
Explorer
BTY, I have to get the tires and shocks asap. Dayton rolex 24hrs is next week.

Hotwheelbill
Explorer
Explorer
fcooper wrote:
e shocks

For tires, I've been very pleased with the Sumitomo's, but I'd also use firestone, bridgestone, continentals, etc....there's many good brands out there.

If the old tires are good enough to get you home, consider loading like for a trip and getting 4 corner weights to see if the current tire size is adequate. Sometimes one corner is much heavier and the originally spec'd tire on that corner is running right at or beyond its load limit. Since you're about to buy tires, it is the ideal time to correct that situation.

To get it home without listening to the jacks down warning, you can find and pull the fuse to the jack system.

Since you have a Freightliner chassis, you can get some great free help when you have chassis problems or questions. Freightliner maintains a helpdesk that will provide assistance at no charge. Have the last 6 digits of your VIN number handy when you call them. The Freightliner help desk phone number is

Fred

Thank you. Good info.
I have used Eshocks before, but I just don't know what size shocks or how to find out.
I will drive it home Wed. It will be a long trip to Jax and I dont want to take I75. I may cut up threw the Forest.
I will not be able to weigh it. What tire range would be safe to just go with?

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
e shocks

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

bobmanchik
Explorer
Explorer
I would DEFINATELY check the tires for cracking, date codes, tread wear, etc. UNLESS you are not going to drive it. A blowout at even 30 or 40 MPH can be disastrous for both you and any vehicle or pedestrian nearby. Same for shocks but you already seem to know that. Join FMCA and use the Michelin advantage tire program for both your MH and your car.

Bob
Life (and stuff) is what happens while you're making plans!