cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodyear 661 tires, anybody have them.

Don_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Getting about that time to replace tires. The G670 has been great, 2nd set and no problems, except 1......the price of new ones. Looking at going to the Goodyear 661, same size, deeper tread and 2 more ply. About $200 cheaper than the 670. Anybody using these?

Sorry, but I have been in the advertising and marketing business for 33 years and don't buy into the 670 RV tire marketing campaign. If these were so great all would be making them for RV's so they could get a primo price. Way too much for something none of us will ever just wear out and for sure not worth $200 more a tire.
8 REPLIES 8

Don_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Mmmm, surprised. Ride is thru your shocks, not your tire that much. Want to improve your ride,, change your shocks.

DoubleVeteran
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't get the 661's

These are the same tires I was looking at last year for my Tiffin. The Goodyear dealer contacted the supply warehouse where they order all their truck/RV tires, and the manager there said that every set that was ordered for an RV was returned because they hated them (the ride was bad I suppose....).

I ended up getting Firestone FS650's all around (6) at a very good price, and they ride just as well as the Michelins I replaced.

Don_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Really suprised no one has tried these.

Don_Don
Explorer
Explorer
It is 2 ply thicker but ride is more on your shocks and not tires. I believe this tire is an excellent option to the G670. Goodyear wants to force that RV tire on you. I have a friend who put General tires on his HR and they were for a Dump truck. He gets excellent service from them and can't tell any differance in ride.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The GY 661's have a speed rating of 75 MPH, the same as the GY 670 tires, so they should work fine for most RV's. The 661 tires are a little heavier so they probably have a thicker sidewall in addition to a deeper tread. The 661's MAY ride a little rougher with a thicker sidewall.

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
I have the G670's too. They are 4 years old, so I'll be interested pretty soon too.
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it might not be as quiet or comfortable on the highway. It looks like it is meant for short delivery service with a lot of turning and scrubbing. Might be worth it to save $1,200.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anybody?
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away