cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS and travel along East Coast

RVJourney101
Explorer
Explorer
What have you found to be helpful as far as GPS for RV travel? traveling in a 32 foot motorhome towing a car. Interested in travel advice and routing from Florida to Acadia National Park.
22 REPLIES 22

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Stay away from the big cities and get on secondary highways. You'll see a lot more of the country.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Along the east coast corridor verify any GPS with careful study of the actual paper maps, so that closed lanes (accident or construction) bad traffic etc will not sting as much, you can route around on the fly. Also helps to avoid off ramps into surface streets. I will run two or three gps at once and use the majority opinion in case of disagreement, but all of this presumes I have prepared by understanding where I want to get and the possible alternatives. Often we will shift driver so DW has the wheel and I have the map since I am better at nav than she is and we are equally comfortable in traffic at the wheel. I do not ever trust any gps altogether!! Their algorithms can mess up and their data can be wrong.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You have two tunnels with restrictions for propane on the east coast that I know of. One is in Baltimore and the other is at Boston. Plan you trips to avoid them. Also as the other poster said stay away from NY City and there bridges. I go to the Tappanzee Bridge much better traveling.

Adding
You don't even want to think about taking a RV into Boston. A lot of the old New England city have very narrow street.

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for Co-Pilot on my Android Phone. Just used it from Virginia Beach to Key West and it did keep me away from all of the sun-pass toll roads in Florida (avoid tolls is a setting). Only had a couple of issues with a road that had closed some time earlier or an area with recent construction, but I had the same problems with my Garmin and GPS's can't be perfect with constant changing roads. I like the dedicated units too, but if you don't want to invest in a dedicated GPS and have a tablet or a smart phone, the Co-Pilot App is a great one, and I even recommend the paid version.

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
Do not trust the GPS to direct you away from toll bridges. We took that same route but our wonderful GPS took us over the George Washington Bridge $76.00. Bypass New York City like it's the plague.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
The Rand McNally rv model will alert you to propane restrictions and low overpasses. Worked great for our trip all the way up the coast last year.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
We travel from SC to NJ often. Have had no problems with our GPS along the way. Do know that you do not want to follow I 95 through NJ into NY. It takes you over the George Washington Bridge into downtown Manhattan - no place EVER to drive any kind of RV! Just the voice of experience! Take a route that crosses the Hudson River farther north, perhaps the Tappan Zee Bridge.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I use a gps app on my tablet and smartphone called Co-pilot. Been using it for years and it hasn't failed me. Like using the tablet as it has a large screen that easy viewing going down the road. It has a RV setting that you can use and set the height of you RV up to 13'.

Co-Pilot

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon