cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS

Bobbo___Spike
Explorer
Explorer
Previously owned a Garmin Nuvi 680. It served us well on a cross country trip in 2008. No longer working and we need to purchase a new GPS for another long trip to Alaska and would like some imput as to which GPS for RV's people recommend. We are considering the Garmin 760LMT or one from Rand McNally. We have a 40 foot diesel pusher.
39 REPLIES 39

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
vic46 wrote:
Bobbo / Spike wrote:
Previously owned a Garmin Nuvi 680. It served us well on a cross country trip in 2008. No longer working and we need to purchase a new GPS for another long trip to Alaska and would like some imput as to which GPS for RV's people recommend. We are considering the Garmin 760LMT or one from Rand McNally. We have a 40 foot diesel pusher.

NOT TOMTOM!

X2!!! Well, in fairness, I had it set to shortest distance and not fastest route, so the issues may have been my fault. But, TomTom did send us down a pretty funky mountain road in the Catskills.

Do not blindly follow any GPS. Have paper maps and/or Google Earth to check the route.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
I've used a Garmin 7200 street pilot for 7 years so I figured it was time to "upgrade". I purchased a Garmin 760LRM last spring and used for a trip to Yellowstone. It missed every junction but one going to the park, traveling through the park and returning home. I live close to the park so I know all the junctions. My maps are current and all the settings are right as per Garmin help. I wish I had my 7200 back. The last trip it went haywire was going though Needles, CA. It missed all the turns and wanted to guide me into a school parking lot. To say the least I'm not impressed.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
My youngest had a iPnone with the GPS and it was wrong most of the time, we had both with us on a trip for comparison. Not a good option.

We have AAA maps and a reconditioned Garmin I purchased from Fry's with a 5" screen that cost $113.00. Everything has been good so far. Only traveled 20,000 or 30,000 miles with maps and our Garmin without incident.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
vic46 wrote:
Bobbo / Spike wrote:

NOT TOMTOM!

Why not??????

Had a Tom Tom 1535 and a Garmin Nuvi side by side in my Jeep. Tom Tom traffic was better. directions more accurate, and the Tom Tom updates info weekly. After a week got rid of the Garmin.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used several over the years including Tom Tom and Magellan but keep coming back to Garmin. The latest is now two years old and also a Nuvi but with bigger screen and lifetime updates. Forget the model but the lifetime updates is a blessing.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

NMace
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin.

But many are using an Ipad or other tablets with good results, they even make a nice mount.
2002 Silverado 6L 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2011 Puma 295 KBHSS

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Go with another Garmin, you will not be sorry. Go with anything else and you will be back on here complaining about it. 😉
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We Do. This
No more telling us to take a dirt road.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo / Spike wrote:

NOT TOMTOM!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
If you thought well of the Garmin, I would stick with Garmin. I have.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.