cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grey Tank Leak

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Somewhere on the side and not very far up, this tank is leaking, as it won't hold more than one shower usually and depending on the way the rig is sitting.
So, before I get into this too far, has anyone ever, or know what it takes, for getting into this thing on a coach like or similar to mine. Maybe a Dolphin or other National product for instance?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)
5 REPLIES 5

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Update....and I decided to go for it after some more thought and realizing that I didn't have to cut into the floor for a little looksee. Removed the starboard side tag wheel and then the grey tank cover, which I hadn't realized before. Got lucky after removing a block of anchoring wood in my way and saw a light crack in the top of the 1 1/2" drain next to the tank. Shimmed up the tank rear a little since there was little clearance under it, for what I had in mind. Now, here's a situation with a small working space almost at arms length and one where you can look with a flashlight and then put your left arm back in there to work, but not both. Bad enough with one hand, but having to feel your way, makes it more difficult. Anyway, after sanding with emory, as best I could and using a rubber glove, I smeared this marine plumbers goop type substance all over it. Tested it after a days drying and no leaks, but not stopping there, so bought a 1 1/2 - 2" rubber coupler that comes with two SS clamps to put over it. Thing is, you can't slide it over, like design, so cut it and fed it around the pipe with the split on top. Filled it in between with the goop and after a little drying installed the clamps. Now keep in mind that this is all being done with one hand and mostly by feel only. You might try putting one of these clamps together with one hand and getting the tightening screw started sometime, although not a bad as first thought and actually had little trouble with those. After tightening with a nut driver, I applied another coating of goop along the top, so I feel it's good to go in that area without any future problems.
All this time, I was studying possible removal and reinstall of this tank and now feel that it could be done with some difficulty and without cutting a hole in the floor. A lot of it would depend on being able to get to the other side under the wheel well and where the bath room empties into the tank. There's small access there with a plate, so enlarging it, would probably be necessary at best.
I managed a few pics on iRV2 forums Grey Tank Leaking, but can't figure how to upload them here, so if someone could help with that, please.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Demoon wrote:
Hopefully you have a different setup. But, on our 06 Surf Side, we have the same problem and our usual service shop, and the local dealer cannot find the leak. Of course, the fact that National chose to install the tanks and build around them does not help. I honestly do not think there is access to the tank without a lot of tearing apart, either from above or below. So, at this point we are trying to live with it. I asked for advice here and on another forum and so far - nothing has helped.
Good luck - will be following with interest.
Flanz wrote:
The only advice I could offer, and I'm sure you know this, is to find where it's leaking from. Ya I know - easier said than done....But it may be a very simple fix.

I guess some water with food coloring may help you to locate the leak and then try and fix it. I know the issues with NRV, I own a SeaView and have taken off panels just to see what's inside and under the bed and I'm glad I don't need to work on the tanks. I was told that to remove tanks may involve removing the rear end cap.

Anyways, good luck and keep us posted. The work you do could help save others with NRV products.

OBTW - There's a NRV newsgroup on yahoo. You may want to try there.

-paul

After spending some time and wasting a lot of it, I find that the easiest and probably only feasible access is to take up the floor in the rear hallway and part of the bedroom next to the bed. Right now, it's somewhat of a guess on how much space it actually takes up, so if and when this project is to take place, I'm hoping that none of it extends under the cabinetry or at least not very far. The vent pipe coming down from the roof is right there on the edge and easily seen by pulling a lower drawer out. This could be a blessing in disguise for getting at it and usually if anybody had their act together, it was National RV.
May need to replace the linoleum, before it's over with or go with some wood laminate, but the bedroom carpet should go back in OK.

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
The only advice I could offer, and I'm sure you know this, is to find where it's leaking from. Ya I know - easier said than done....But it may be a very simple fix.

I guess some water with food coloring may help you to locate the leak and then try and fix it. I know the issues with NRV, I own a SeaView and have taken off panels just to see what's inside and under the bed and I'm glad I don't need to work on the tanks. I was told that to remove tanks may involve removing the rear end cap.

Anyways, good luck and keep us posted. The work you do could help save others with NRV products.

OBTW - There's a NRV newsgroup on yahoo. You may want to try there.

-paul

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda looks like what you're saying and really didn't want to hear that. Not sure when I can start on it or how far I'll go, before trying to live with it as you are and at least it's not the black tank.

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully you have a different setup. But, on our 06 Surf Side, we have the same problem and our usual service shop, and the local dealer cannot find the leak. Of course, the fact that National chose to install the tanks and build around them does not help. I honestly do not think there is access to the tank without a lot of tearing apart, either from above or below. So, at this point we are trying to live with it. I asked for advice here and on another forum and so far - nothing has helped.
Good luck - will be following with interest.