cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gulf Stream Sun Voyager Clear Coat Issue?

RonWSl
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering purchasing an 07 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager, but am concerned about any possible clear cut issue. I have a friend with an 2004 Crescendo with major peeling issues - looked at an 03 Gulf Stream with peeling issues, and another Crescendo, an 05, also with peeling clear coat. Anyone familiar with whether the 07's have the same issue or did Gulf Stream rectify that problem by then? As you can imagine I don't want to spend $1,000 of dollars if there is going to be a paint issue popping up in the future.
Thanks
Ron S
7 REPLIES 7

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Ultra Violet Light is not your friend. Any RV with clear coat, gel coat, decals, or any other painted accents will eventually succumb to UV damage. Keeping it clean and waxed and out of the sum as much as possible will help, but only for a while.

Chum lee

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
Over time I think you can expect clear coat peeling on any coach regardless of the manufacturer. Ours for one has the clear coat peeling around the roof radius and the upper front nose (had this issue before). Just lately I've noticed it started peeling on top of the rear view mirrors and a molding running down the side near one of the front windows. Our coach is well maintained but as I stated in time things start to deteriorate.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I guess that would lose apeal! Anyway, clearcoats are sprayed on and supposed to be 2 part epoxy. They use them on big truck finish like Peterbilt and Kenworths. If mixed, applied at the right temp and dried correctly they should last for years.

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
I's clear coat it will more than likely peal if in any bright sun.

RonWSl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies so far, I am concerned it will develop the problem in the future.

jrclark
Explorer
Explorer
The people next to us at our winter RV park have a 07 Gulf Steam Sun Voyager. The clear coat is peeling everywhere on the unit. Also, the have constant mechanical problems with the MH - not only the chassis, but jacks, slides, compartment doors, entry door, etc. They bought it new.
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3677

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it has a clear coat issue then you already have a paint issue. Read up on it for any vehicle. Clear coat has to stick to a new base coat. You can patch but it want last long.