cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water pump switch

beetleman
Explorer
Explorer
Bought older motorhome and water pump switch is not label for on or off. Mrs and I are in disagreement. Is it on if it makes a sound when using water? I know it may seem like a simple question but an answer will keep me off couch.
7 REPLIES 7

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
With shore water disconnected open a faucet.If no water comes out the switch in off. If water comes out the switch is on.
That is assuming the pump works and there is water in the tank of course.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
If you have multiple switches then it's often like having 2 switches controlling a light or outlet in your home. Which way is on for one switch depends on the position of the other switch.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the switch with a lighted one. This will remove all doubt.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
You might hear a short noise when you first turn on the water pump switch which is the lines being filled. After that initial noise, you should NOT hear any noise UNLESS you are running water. If you do NOT have a faucet on and you hear a noise AFTER the initial filling of the water lines, you either have a hopefully small leak in the lines causing a lack of pressure OR you do not have enough water in your fresh water tank to fill the water lines. How much noise you hear WHILE you are running water will depend upon your water pump and how it is mounted - i.e. how much it vibrates while running.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
faucet open pump noise its on faucet open no noise not on no water

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Typical water pump switch reverts back to same position after you press it. Press it once and the pump is on - press it again and the pump turns off. Sometimes there is a light near the switch which indicates the pump is on .. sometimes not. There are often many water pump switches (kitchen, bathroom, outside shower etc) which are connected to a relay switch. If you turn it on in the bathroom your wife can immediately turn it off in the kitchen ... in short - no such thing as std "on/off" position.
Kevin

mmccray100
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1999 Winnebago Chieftain. There are 3 switches to turn the water pump on/off. The one on the main control panel is the only one with the on/off label. The switch in the bathroom and one at the outside shower have no label. And, yes, depending on where the pump is located, you should be able to hear the "hum" when you are running water.

Mike