cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Harney Coach

jassrnj
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shopping for a good used Class A and was looking at a Harney RV.

Are they well built, any major problems with them?

General Feedback
7 REPLIES 7

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would call Monaco 877-466-6226 with the last six of the vin #. They may have a build sheet on it and any repairs if done by Monaco.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

jassrnj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback

Hoosier_Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 1999 Harney Coach Renegade. I found that I had to replace about 4 of the single line water valves on the manifold every year. I replaced all by building an all copper manifold with brass valves. Problem fixed. Also, had to replace the main 12 volt power relay 3 times. Buy a spare and keep on hand for repair. While many auto part stores will have relays that look similar they are not continuous duty. Many Harneys had side wall delamination issues particularly on the slide out. Check for bulges on all the side walls. We found that the CAT 3126E engine to be very good. No repairs other normal maintenance. 10.6 - 10.8 mpg running 65-70 mph on interstate driving. Never went below 10 mpg even in the mountains.
Hoosier Cruiser

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Other than being another orphaned model, Harney Coaches were built by SMC in Oregon. They stopped building them in 2001 after SMC lost a ton of money. I couldn't find anything about the line being started up again after the purchase of SMC by Monaco, so I believe Brett is correct; these coaches were Magnum/CAT 3126. I've seen a few ads on RVT/RVTrader that say they're on a Spartan chassis, but they're probably incorrect.

I own another orphaned SMC motor home and haven't had any problem finding parts. The front and rear caps are glass, but the rest of the body is aluminum and stainless and can be repaired/reproduced by any aircraft shop. System components are the same or similar to those in existing motor homes. I think buying an older coach that was initially high quality and well maintained (Mx needs to be documented) is better than buying a new coach.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Tell us more about it. I thought that Harney was owned by Safari and used their in-house (Magnum) chassis and Cat engine.

Was this a coach built before Safari acquired them?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

jassrnj
Explorer
Explorer
Spartan Chassis with a Cummins 330HP Turbo Diesel

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer