cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you ever had this happen to you...?

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
On a recent trip from Fl to Tn, when I would raise (retract) the leveling jacks, hyd. fluid would gush (not leak)out and on the ground at or close to one of the front jacks. I refilled the reservoir and on the next two times I attempted to use the jacks the 'dumping' of fluid happened again. Obviously, the jacks were not used after that.

Unrelated problem, the generator would run for about 20 minutes then stop. That happened several times so I stopped trying to use it.

When we returned home, I made an appointment at Camping World to have the two problems repaired. Had a call form CW yesterday and was told that the mechanic could not get the jacks to leak even one drop of fluid! AND, the generator ran for almost 3 hours without ever shutting off! How is it possible that these problems existed and then miraculously disappeared?

Have you ever experienced anything like this? / Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
22 REPLIES 22

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
goufgators wrote:
On a recent trip from Fl to Tn, when I would raise (retract) the leveling jacks, hyd. fluid would gush (not leak)out and on the ground at or close to one of the front jacks. I refilled the reservoir and on the next two times I attempted to use the jacks the 'dumping' of fluid happened again. Obviously, the jacks were not used after that.

Unrelated problem, the generator would run for about 20 minutes then stop. That happened several times so I stopped trying to use it.

When we returned home, I made an appointment at Camping World to have the two problems repaired. Had a call form CW yesterday and was told that the mechanic could not get the jacks to leak even one drop of fluid! AND, the generator ran for almost 3 hours without ever shutting off! How is it possible that these problems existed and then miraculously disappeared?

Did you perhaps fill the jack reservoir, while the jacks were down?
With the genset, did you fill the tank with fuel after the problem and thinking that maybe there's a pin hole air leak in the pickup tube, near the top of the tank?
I'm sure that the problem with the jacks is that I filled the reservoir with the jacks down. Won't do that again! Not sure about when the gas tank was filled in relation to the gen issue. Never the less, the gen is now working properly.

Great then and hopefully you won't have another issue with the genset when your fuel tank gets down to 3/4 or 1/2, since I have no idea of your test results, thus far.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
goufgators wrote:

With the genset, did you fill the tank with fuel after the problem and thinking that maybe there's a pin hole air leak in the pickup tube, near the top of the tank?
I'm sure that the problem with the jacks is that I filled the reservoir with the jacks down. Won't do that again! Not sure about when the gas tank was filled in relation to the gen issue. Never the less, the gen is now working properly.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

lucky13
Explorer
Explorer
just had this happen to us,, turns out the hydraulic hose was rubbing on the air shock and developed a leak, so would leak out oil when using it,, had to replaced the hose,, $270 then labor $500, so was a lot of fun,, but fixed, good luck

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Ed C wrote:
When you refilled the fluid were the jacks up or down. When they are down about half the fluid is in the jacks and when you lift them it will gush out. I know that for a fact!!!
Since the leak was at the jack it doesn't sound like overfilling.

OP Next time (and it will occur again) try to determine if the leak is hose or jack related.
I did try but could not tell. The leak (gush) was very near the jack but did not (as best as I could tell) comeing from the jack. As you know, when the problem was occurring, I was inside the coach operating the controls and not able to observe. When I would go out to see what damage was done, fluid was all around the the jack but the base plate did not have any fluid on it making me think it was not coming directly from the jack.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
SASS59276 wrote:
Do you remember what your fuel level was when you were running the generator? Most won't run or quit running below a 1/4 tank.
Fuel was above one-half full.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Ed C wrote:
When you refilled the fluid were the jacks up or down. When they are down about half the fluid is in the jacks and when you lift them it will gush out. I know that for a fact!!!
Ed, you might have hit the proverbial nail on the head. I can't recall for sure but it is possible that I did exactly what you mention. I'll be very careful about that in the future. Thanks!
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Weird things happen. Take it home and check it yourself. Or call a mobile tech.
When was the last time you changed the generator fuel filter?
The fuel filter has not been changed. If it happens again, I'll certainly make that change...might make it anyway...probably due!
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
hacker7 wrote:
Strange to say the least. I would go there bring the MH home and check for yourself. Why did you use CW?
I know CW has a less than reputable reputation in general but there are a few that have good mechanics and who are reliable. I've found our local CW to, in most cases, to be one of the few.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

hottubkid
Explorer
Explorer
Dry seals maybe
hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
You probably overfilled the reservoir.

Jacks have to be UP when checking and filling the reservoir. Slides can be in or out.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
Might look into what CW is doing different, as was mentioned was there jacking area level vs. was yours? Was there lots of extra pressure on the one jack because your jack had to almost lift a tire to get level? Was the Gas tank filled or the oil level topped off before CW started the gen, or are they actually putting a heavy load on it like you might be?
But yet, weird things do sometimes happen. Usually there is an explanation but you may never find out what it was.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Just a guess but maybe you were a little low on oil and that caused the genset to shut down. When CW got it they did initial inspection, filled with oil and no shutdown now.

Filling the hydraulic fluid tank with the jacks extended will cause the "overflow" when you retract them. Other than that, I haven't a clue.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

SASS59276
Explorer
Explorer
Do you remember what your fuel level was when you were running the generator? Most won't run or quit running below a 1/4 tank.