cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

10 y.o. DP expense budget

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not in the market, this is just grist for the mill of "someday maybe".

Over the years here I have come to understand that a person can get a pretty nice DP at reasonable price once they are 10+ years old. My question is, what kind of budget would it take to have a shop do all preventative maintenance, new tires, replace wear parts, renew suspension, steering, and air system as needed, etc.?

Assume no tag axle. Would $10K usually be enough to make it ship-shape? Or more than that? I'm not talking about finding unexpected powertrain problems. What would be a good budget for making it ready to roll problem-free for several more years?
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
21 REPLIES 21

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
8 to 10 years will probably be the point where parts starts failling. If the MH was neglected anything can happen. If it has been taking care of, anything can happen also, but most likely worn parts where replaced when needed. Repair bill goes up quickly on those MH especially if you have all the maintenance done by someone else. A radiator cost $4000+, a turbo is in the $2000 to $5000, a cracked windshield will start near $1000, if it is a full view more$$.

1. Maintenance record, if the sellers does not have any, do not buy it.
2. Check preventive maintenance like: Was the coolant replaced? The transmission oil replaced? Differential oil replaced? All filters replaced at the proper time?
2. A good inspection will cover the basic to know repair needed.
2. If tires where never replaced = $3000
3. Brakes normally do not fail on MH.
4. If suspension is good, I do not see the reason to replace good working parts.

Good shopping!
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2002 in last 3 yrs we spent +- 20K on engine work and suspension work. Ins co spent 27K for new roof and new A/C's new paint on 3 sides, from being hit by a hail storm, it now has 93K mi and I feel it will go another 90K without too many problems. Interior is still like new except carpet. We have always maintained the MH to specs. Tires, oil changes, etc. When stored always drive it every 4-6 weeks. Can I get very much in a resale, probably not, but someone would get a very nice Newmar if so.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
The CRITICAL issue is for a purchaser to either be extremely knowledgeable, or to hire someone who is to inspect it.

The reality is that the vast majority of purchasers have NO idea of what Preventive Maintenance needs to be done or was done!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
I'm not in the market, this is just grist for the mill of "someday maybe".

Over the years here I have come to understand that a person can get a pretty nice DP at reasonable price once they are 10+ years old. My question is, what kind of budget would it take to have a shop do all preventative maintenance, new tires, replace wear parts, renew suspension, steering, and air system as needed, etc.?

Assume no tag axle. Would $10K usually be enough to make it ship-shape? Or more than that? I'm not talking about finding unexpected powertrain problems. What would be a good budget for making it ready to roll problem-free for several more years?

I'd be for buying it right in the first place and yes, they are out there from someone meticulous and then having to sell outright, for whatever reason.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thread:
The more I think about it the more I find myself asking the question? Why would I want to buy a MH that needs $10,000.00 to put back in reliable service? It would have to be a unique situation or unique MH. I'd be more inclined to find a nicer, well maintained, ready to travel MH and pay a few thousand dollars to the owner than a repairman or service tech, fill the tank and go RVing.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buying any used coach, or even a new one, is a gamble. It is impossible to predict the future or to say exactly what your repair costs will be next year, or the year after. Buying a coach with complete maintenance records helps but it is not foolproof. It covers the items that were taken care of, and when the work was done, but that does not mean that the previous owner took care of EVERYTHING. Perhaps he did change the oil, lube the chassis, and replaced filters as per the manufacturers schedule. Perhaps he did keep the coach waxed and kept in covered parking. As we have read on this forum, maybe he did all of the usual things to keep his coach looking great and operating perfectly, BUT, he failed to have his radiator inspected and cleaned. This could easily be a $5000 issue. There are other expensive items that can fail and are sometimes forgotten in the year to year "normal" maintenance items on everyone's list. If the coach comes from the rust belt, or the salt belt, it could look great and have good records, but have major corrosion issues hidden underneath.
Getting maintenance records is important but you have to search out and inspect the things that the previous owner may have unknowingly neglected.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the last post. While traveling around the country we stopped to look at some new and used coaches. The new were nice and expensive, the used there were some that looked nice on the outside, but trashed on the inside.
Some people just live like pigs and do not take care of their coaches. Our coach which we bought brand new in 2003 still looks like new inside and out. We just got back from a 2K mile trip and it worked flawless. I have 63K miles on it now and I really believe that the engine is just now breaking in. So my point is why trade a coach just because it is ten years old if you have taken care of it. Full timers do wear things out more then we would being only a part timer. So I think I would stay away from a coach that has been used by a full timer if you want to keep the cost down on refurbishing the interior of the coach.

I did see a nice 45'Signature 2004 coach that had only 55K miles on it and was being sold on consignment by the owner for 198K. But geez! that coach was waaaay too long.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
Not including new tires, which I negotiated for, it was $3000. I did my own inspection. I'd say if you have to spend over $5k on repairs your buying the wrong MH, IMO.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
At 10 years it may have three year old tires... are you going to replace them? $4000 installed. Complete oil service at SpeedCo... $300. Replace serpentine belt... $150 side radiator, $250 rear. Replace air dryer... $250. Replace shocks at $200 each X 4 or 8. That comes to $6000+/- installed. Not sure how you could spend $10K having someone else doing the work on a 10 year old DP.

In my situation at 10 years I had 6 new tires and two 3 years old. The 6 cost me $3000. I do my own oil changes... $150. The serpentine belt ($45) has already been replaced and the air dryer at 8 years ($75). At 65K miles I see no reason to replace the 10 shocks... rig handles great. My cost at 10 years... $3200 + $250 ($3450) as I also replaced both engine batteries that were 10 years old and still going strong... used them in a machine I own. Brake cost on a DP with exhaust brake is not a issue.

Would you buy a rig from me? Probably not as the records I have are written on the filters or some only in my memory. Serpentine belt was replace at aprox 6 years and when it breaks I'll put the old one on (side radiator) until I can buy a new one.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
So, you budget $30k for 'stuff' that needs to be done but you get the coach at a really good price. --OR-- you find that 'gem' that's been taken care of, it costs you a bit more to purchase but you don't have to do anything to it....seems the price will come out pretty much the same....just sayin....Dennis

Tires alone will set you back $500 ea so that's 3k right there...add another $1k if it has a tag....D.
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
OK, a suggestion:

EITHER budget $30k OR (big OR) carefully look for a coach with maintenance records that suggest that the previous owner took care of his coach.

They ARE out there. But expect to pay a premium for a premium coach. IMO, from doing hundreds of mechanical inspections on coaches, A WISE CHOICE.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
MaverickBBD wrote:

I estimate if I come in under 30 grand I am still miles ahead of a new coach and restart at the learning curve.

I think that is the way I would look at it, in your shoes. It's your house. If you had owned a house for ten years, you'd probably have had to spend 20K on it anyway.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The secret is not to buy one that needs a lot of work. Have it looked over before buying. We sold our 10-year one within a month and it was in pristine condition in and out. Some folks take impeccably care of them and some don't. Look for one with all the maintenance receipts kept. Our buyer commented that this was a selling point to him.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Parts only or parts and retail labor?

Parts and retail labor.
For roadworthiness, not for interior freshening and such.

I realize they are all different. Some, as posted above, have been vigorously maintained and need almost nothing. OTOH some will blow a engine a month after buying it.

I was looking for a general budget range.