cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you ever had this happen to you...?

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
On a recent trip from Fl to Tn, when I would raise (retract) the leveling jacks, hyd. fluid would gush (not leak)out and on the ground at or close to one of the front jacks. I refilled the reservoir and on the next two times I attempted to use the jacks the 'dumping' of fluid happened again. Obviously, the jacks were not used after that.

Unrelated problem, the generator would run for about 20 minutes then stop. That happened several times so I stopped trying to use it.

When we returned home, I made an appointment at Camping World to have the two problems repaired. Had a call form CW yesterday and was told that the mechanic could not get the jacks to leak even one drop of fluid! AND, the generator ran for almost 3 hours without ever shutting off! How is it possible that these problems existed and then miraculously disappeared?

Have you ever experienced anything like this? / Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
22 REPLIES 22

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You said the fluid "Gushed" do you mean the tank overflowed?

This can hasppen, epically in FL.

Let's say you added fluid to stop that annoying beeping in say michigan when it was 35 degrees out.. You now go down to FL ariving on a cool day and drop your jacks.. It gets a tad warm down there. when you go to leave it's 25 degrees warmer than when you arrived.. The fluid expands (with heat) much faster than the tank so it gushes out.. alas, I have no solution save putting an overflow tank on it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ed C wrote:
When you refilled the fluid were the jacks up or down. When they are down about half the fluid is in the jacks and when you lift them it will gush out. I know that for a fact!!!
Since the leak was at the jack it doesn't sound like overfilling.

OP Next time (and it will occur again) try to determine if the leak is hose or jack related.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Possibly it only happens when the rig is enough out of level to put sideways pressure on the jack vs a level CW area.

Check gen oil level and cooling if applicable and change oil, air and fuel filters.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
When you refilled the fluid were the jacks up or down. When they are down about half the fluid is in the jacks and when you lift them it will gush out. I know that for a fact!!!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure that CW is actually putting pressure on the jacks, not just running them out and back in. If there's a bad seal (which is what it sounds like you have), then it needs full system pressure to show a leak.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Weird things happen. Take it home and check it yourself. Or call a mobile tech.
When was the last time you changed the generator fuel filter?

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes the strangest things happen and there's no explanation for it. When I winterized our coach I developed a wet spot on the bedroom floor where there was NO water pipes that could get that area wet. Dried it up next day pressurized the water system ALL DAY and the floor stayed dry. Go figure????

hacker7
Explorer
Explorer
Strange to say the least. I would go there bring the MH home and check for yourself. Why did you use CW?
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 32ft 7.4 Vortec. Islip N.Y.