Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hellwig Rear Swaybar - E450

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Gang,

I'm considering installing the Hellwig 7180 on my 2013 E450. The rig is 32'5" in total length.

The mod is cheap by RV standards, but I'm wondering if I'd get any real bang for the buck over the stock Ford bar that I see installed.

Also, for some reason Hellwig doesn't list a FRONT sway bar for my year chassis. I wonder if the front bar is good enough?

I've read that swaybars keep the rig more firmly planted to the road and less prone to tractor trailer pull/push. Not sure if any of that is true, so I'm posting !!!

Thanks !!!
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
57 REPLIES 57

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is just a bit light in the 'loafers', on the front end, so I can gain just a touch of dampening with pressure. Still run 50-60#s however.
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jopopsy wrote:
The front is really where the magic happens w/ tire pressures on a larger 'C'.

AMEN, Brother! Exactly Right!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
You're not going to get a whole lot of gain for lowering the rear end below 80. Your tracking and what not is more dependant on the front end.

So long as I'm under loaded on my rear axle when I get it weighed, I'll run 78-80 pounds in the back no matter what. The front is really where the magic happens w/ tire pressures on a larger 'C'.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

bkluever
Explorer
Explorer
I never thought about the touching issue that is some great advice thanks

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron,

The touching problem can arise as, or if, owners reduce tire pressures to improve the ride and/or handling. Thus it would be highly variable as to when it will happen. It will depend upon the motorhome's weight on the dual tires, versus the pressure being used, versus the actual spacing between the tires (which is controlled by rim geometry and tire body width).

I went conservative because of our sometimes hot weather travel combined with off-pavement travel. This requires 80 lbs. pressure in the rear tires in addition to slightly narrower tires.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It never occurred to me that the dual rubber tires could actually touch each other. I assume only when hitting a pot hole or similar. Or do you mean making contact under "normal use" conditions? I would have thought the chassis manufactures got their act together with that.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
rehopp wrote:
Very good advice on the TPs, to not use more than you need to carry the load..... but watch TP on your duals (they must NOT touch or they heat up). If they touch they become 'will pops', as opposed to 'May pops'.

There is one way to reduce Class C rear duals tire pressure nicely, while at the same time insuring that they do not touch during sidewall flexing: Use a 215/85R16 size tire, instead of the common 225/75R16 size tire that usually comes on Class C motorhomes ... and that their owners keep putting back on them at replacement time.

A Load Range E 215/85R16 tire requires pressures and carries loads identical to a Load Range E 225/75R16 tire, however the tire is a bit NARROWER .... so there is more room between their sidewalls when used in dual sets. This obviously will help prevent dual tires from touching.

Three more advantages to this different tire size: There is also is better air circulation between them when used in dual sets ... for improved cooling in hot weather road travel. They also raise the whole RV about 0.6 inches (215/85R16 tires are slighlty larger diameter than 225/75R16 tires) for more ground clearance ... which helps when turning off/onto the road from parking lots and helps if you occasionally want to take you Class C off-pavement. More sidewall clearance also reduces the chances of wedging rocks between the duals when running on gravel roads.

I put a new set of Load Range E 215/85R16 Michelin LTX M&S2 tires on our Class C 2-3 years ago and they have so far been superb. I had to buy 7 tires at the time so as to have the spare be the same new size.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
bkluever wrote:
These Ford chassis are sold as a heavy duty van and what happens to it after Ford makes them is not really there fault some are uhuals/rv/bus/ambulances. so the rv are at max spec or in some cases over spec I think you have to tune the suspension to compensate the frankinstien creation a MFG has done to the stock chassis.
I agree with you.

I would say that the chassis is "tuned" as you put it, to be a vehicle that will "occasionally" get loaded to capacity, for example a box truck. Not permanently loaded to capacity like a motor home.

Ford E350/E450, Chevy 3500/4500, Mercedes Sprinter, Dodge Promaster, their offered "Motor Home" package should be equipped with the upgrades we are doing in aftermarket fashion. It would cost more to every RV buyer, but not much more. For the sake of safety alone, I feel it should be mandated by law because it isn't going to happen any other way.

bkluever
Explorer
Explorer
Jopopsy wrote:

... the rear coil over monroes are excilent shocks

it is a 2013 freedom elite it is a small 22 u and the 67.00 each coil overs from Monroe are excellent for the dollar lifetime warranty/ good ride less bounces when parked better toweing etc. I have a rather steep drive way and they put it up just enough I don't even rub the hitch anymore pulling out of the drive.

bkluever
Explorer
Explorer
these Ford chassis are sold as a heavy duty van and what happens to it after Ford makes them is not really there fault some are uhuals/rv/bus/ambulances. so the rv are at max spec or in some cases over spec I think you have to tune the suspension to compensate the frankinstien creation a MFG has done to the stock chassis.

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
Phil

FYi ... I used the heaviest duty Bilsteins... I think they are too stiff.... if I EVER go through that pain again, I'll use the 'regular duty' models.

Front Drivers side. Just DO suck to change. PITA, no doubt.

I havent' changed the sway bars, ,,, yet. And if I ever develop rear end 'sag', I'll add air bags, instead of 'alternative' shocks. But that's just me.
Hoppe

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note on 'ride'.

The E450 had always been noisy and a bit rough on the road, so 2 years ago I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins. It helped but not a cure.

I replaced my tires last year and found that apparently the tires had hardened over the years. I even did the cheap shot on the new tires (Cooper Tires), I went with the US made, and they were a bit less expensive.

The following trip was amazingly more comfortable. (Old tires were Michelin with very few miles on them, but they were starting to 'check' on the side walls.)

Very good advice on the TPs, to not use more than you need to carry the load..... but watch TP on your duals (they must NOT touch or they heat up). If they touch they become 'will pops', as opposed to 'May pops'.
Hoppe

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awww Shucks...

People who are Chassis Tuners (for high performance/racing automotive applications) ...or who have read some of their articles... Will tell you that it's possible to add too much "roll stiffness" and that the front and rear have to be balanced, etc. etc. My belief it that RV'n is not LeMans, or Indy, or Daytona, and that any Class C RV (especially those pesky Fords) will benefit from upgraded sway bars.

As Front Tire Pressure goes, that 75-PSI for 2008 and later E-Series holds only if the Axle is actually loaded to its 5000-pound capacity. Our front axles rarely are, so using that pressure only degrades steering stability on the road. The cure is easy. Takes only weighing and use of a load/pressure chart.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
bkluever wrote:
I have a 3013 class c 23 foot thor mh and I up graded the rear shocks to Monroe coil overs and the front to heavy duty Monroe rv shocks and then put on the Monroe steering dampner. this made a huge difference.
But then I was still not satisfied with handling so I upgraded the steering dampner to a bilistine and added the hellwig sway bar and OMG what a difference it handles like a mini van now I can take my hands off the wheel and drive with finger tips now with out surprises.

If you are thinking about doing this modification just do it it cost me like 325.00 (DAMPNER AND SWAYBAR)I would pay 2 times that it is easy to install if you can change a tire you can do this.

the fractory sway bar is a joke compared to hellwig
the Monroe steering dampner is a joke compared to bilistine
the rear coil over monroes are excilent shocks.

YOU WILL NOT REGRET THE UPGRADES...........

THESE CLASS C SHOULD COME STANDARD WITH BILISTINE AND HELLWIG!!!!!!!
Interesting that the current day chassis (assumed E350/E450) benefits the same as our 2007 E350 chassis. It really is amazing how dramatic the difference is, how much more comfortable driving the rig can be. You describe the improvements quite the same as I have been doing for the past 8 years. I spent a very steep $3900 and since have been sharing how to do it yourself for hundreds, not thousands. I slowed down since j-d has been doing a better job of it since he was convinced.

Thanks for sharing.