cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help determining if I can get a motorhome into my driveway

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
This will be difficult to answer without seeing, but looking for some advice as to whether anyone thinks this will be an issue for me (see pic below). I currently have a 40' fifth wheel and F-250 SuperDuty truck. I can back into my driveway -- but it is very tricky...with exactly one way in. Mess it up even slightly and it results in a do-over. There are several obstacles that include: a curb opposite my driveway, fire hydrant opposite driveway so can't swing front end of truck over the curb or they will make contact, utility pole at corner of driveway that my fiver bumper will hit if it doesn't swing early enough to avoid. And of course there is the apron entrance to the driveway and mailbox. I have two friends that drive a truck...and the only way I was able to get the rig in the driveway when I brought it home was on their advice on how to set up properly.

My wife and I fell in love with a Tiffin Allegro 35QBA this past weekend...and are seriously considering trading our fiver in on it. But we are concerned if we will get the camper in the driveway -- either by backing or pulling in. I did note on my test drive of the Tiffin that I didn't have to swing nearly as wide for turns as I do with my truck and fiver...but having very little motorhome experience is leaving me with this big question. Closest dealer is 2 hours away...so not really possible to bring it home and try. Any words of wisdom here? Thanks.

88 REPLIES 88

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Like rgatijnet1 said near the beginning, pave a bit of that corner if after a test drive shows it won't make it. (I think it will).

We have parked our DP on this stuff for years. (Make a good base: 12" of compacted 3/4 road base, 4" of compacted sand.)

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't have a problem when we had a 96" wide Class C, but when we started considering a 102" wide Class A it cot very interesting. We did solve the problem, but it took some careful work.

Out third driveway section, alongside the garage was really tight for 102" wide. The gas meter was on that wall and stuck out quite a way. Gas company rules said it had to be a certain distance from the wall, so we couldn't move it closer.

S-I-L and I took about 8" off the garage roof overhang, which lined it up with the bollard that protected the gas meter. We put a deeper fascia board for the gutter, to maintain the same level to meet the mitered corner at the front of the garage.

It worked quite well and we could get the MH in there, driving VERY carefully. The surprise was, we couldn't open the house door because it hit the gutter, still at its original level. We lived with the deficiency until we sold the RV, backing it down far enough to be able to open the house door when preparing for a trip. Had we kept it longer, I'd have re-configured the gutter system to allow us to open the door when it was fully docked.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I would not hesitate putting my 36QSH in that driveway. My son in VA has a farm yard which I reach up a 1/8 mile dirt drive. We have a level pad about 6 feet longer than the coach at 90 deg to the driveway. the depth of the parking area is less than the length of the coach and the width is not quite twice the length of the coach. It takes anywhere from 4 to 7 reversals to turn around so I can back onto the pad! (depends on getting the start just right and how soft the garden is). The entire family disappears indoors while DW and I spot the coach ๐Ÿ™‚ Haven't hit the house yet, did take out a fence years ago when the garden was real soft and a wheel slipped over the edge.

It is much easier these days. We have done it at least twice a year for 11 years.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer
No problem. I suspect you will want to pull in so that the coach door is facing your house. I do drag the ass end a little going in and out, but I have a bit of an incline to get up before it levels off in my driveway.

And, if I could fit a 38QBA in my driveway, I would already have one. Love our 35QBA, but would switch in a minute if I could. Not to mention the money saved (depreciation) buying used over new.

Good luck.
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's

crabbin_cabin
Explorer
Explorer
Drive into the main parking space ( head first) then back into and around to the MH parking area. With a little practice should be easy!

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
DazedNConfused wrote:
dieharder wrote:
Stop overthinking it. You'll be fine. The first couple of times you might need to reposition yourself a couple of times, but after that you'll probably do it faster than with your TT.

Nope...I'm sold. The question really came into play because the MH doesn't articulate in the middle is all. But with the 20' wheelbase and lots of input from others, this should be a snap. I sometimes have to reposition my fiver as well -- not to get it into the driveway -- but to move it all the way to one side.

Now the big decision....new 35QBA gasser or used 38QBA Red ๐Ÿ™‚ But that's a whole other topic...

Not a discussion at all. DP's are better, period. That is why they cost more. If you have a line on a DP that has a floor plan you can live with at a price you can afford, go for it. You'll never look bac k and will never regret it.

We did just that. In the process of having a Tiffin Allegro RED 38QBA pusher built. Hoping it will make it into my driveway without dragging anything. Driveway is very flat...just worried about anything that may drag before the rear wheels hit and start travelling up the apron. I'll find out in early April when we bring it home.

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
measure out your driveway then go to dealer and put down some orange cones to the size of your drive and see just how easy it will be

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
DazedNConfused wrote:
dieharder wrote:
Stop overthinking it. You'll be fine. The first couple of times you might need to reposition yourself a couple of times, but after that you'll probably do it faster than with your TT.

Nope...I'm sold. The question really came into play because the MH doesn't articulate in the middle is all. But with the 20' wheelbase and lots of input from others, this should be a snap. I sometimes have to reposition my fiver as well -- not to get it into the driveway -- but to move it all the way to one side.

Now the big decision....new 35QBA gasser or used 38QBA Red ๐Ÿ™‚ But that's a whole other topic...

Not a discussion at all. DP's are better, period. That is why they cost more. If you have a line on a DP that has a floor plan you can live with at a price you can afford, go for it. You'll never look bac k and will never regret it.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

cpoo
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
I would approach from the right of the picture very close to the curb on the right side of the MH and stop the rear wheel at the curb intersection of driveway and street curb. (The MH will pivot at the rear wheel) Turn the steering wheels hard to the right before moving backward and it will go right in.

The overhand is not long enough to teach across the 18' drive to his the mailbox if the MH is kept close to the driveway edge on the right side while backing. The MH is not long enough to have a problem with the fire hydrant on the opposite side of the 26' street.

Do the math. AGAIN...the MH will pivot at the rear wheel.

I agree it will work. Many people make the mistak of starting on far sie instead of near side and pivoting. I have much tighter at my cottage with 37 ft. Some spots a few back and forth help.
Bob

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would avoid calling the rear tires a pivot point. In order for a rear tire to become a true pivot point, the front steer tires would have to cut 90 degrees. I believe that about 55 degrees is close to the maximum angle that they will turn.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I back my 38' MH into a 12 wide driveway and then at a 90 degree behind the house very often without any assistance. Watch the mirrors and rear view camera and proceed slowly, it is easy to accomplish.

The pivot point is the rear wheels and the turning point is the steer axle. A 45' MH will fit into your driveway.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
How about one of these :

I'd like to see one of those converted to an RV. Someone has to have done it....
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wheelbase on my motorhome is 276 inches. The street is 29 ft curb-to-curb. The curb cut is 23 ft, but the driveway is 11 ft wide. I back up all the way to the back of the house, and I have NEVER climbed a curb.

Here's a shot of the gravel part of the driveway. The concrete part only extends from the street to about 6 ft past the front of the house:

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
DazedNConfused wrote:
dieharder wrote:

Nope...I'm sold. The question really came into play because the MH doesn't articular in the middle is all. But with the 20' wheelbase and lots of input from others, this should be a snap. I sometimes have to reposition my fiver as well -- not to get it into the driveway -- but to move it all the way to one side.

Hold it!! This thread was all about a 35 foot motorhome, you never mentioned the possibility of a 38 footer! Now we have to start all over again from the beginning. No way is that 38 footer going to fit!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Heh heh...just when you thought this was beat to death.... ๐Ÿ™‚ 99.9% sure it will be the 35QBA. I like the shorter length for some of the tighter CGs around where we go that have made my current setup more "challenging". This rig will eventually be used for 3-4 week tours of the big state parks out west, etc. Might not climb the big mountains in Colorado as well as a DP -- and the thin air won't help the gas motor one single bit -- but it will make it up the hills and back down the other side -- and that's all I really "need". "Wants" are completely different.

Thanks for the laugh, though. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh...and "articular" should have been "articulate", obviously. Fixed it above. ๐Ÿ˜‰