cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi everyone, new to the Class A world

Jrork
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Thought I would take a moment to introduce myself. Like most of you, we began the camping lifestyle sleeping in the bed of a truck then moved to a tent. Soon after, we moved to an old camper. With the kids, we moved to an old fixer upper trailer and had a ton of fun. With the kids, their friends and the dogs, we moved to a 32 travel trailer and that lasted us till the kids were all grown and gone. Since it was just my wife and I now, we stepped up to a Lance camper with 2 slides and thought we were set.......till our age creeped in. One knee replacement for me and a bad back for my wife of 35 years, it was clear that the camper was not an option. Soooo, here we go, we decided to pursue a Class A since we had never done one.

On Monday we ended up picking up a nice 2001 31' Rexhall Aerbus on a F53 chassis. Seems to be really well kept and well optioned. For the week we've had it I've been trying to gain a better understanding on how the electrical system works as these darn things with the Chassis elec, Coach elec, 120V elec and 12V elec get really complicated.

So far this week all I've accomplished is new Toyo 16 ply 19.5's on the front and back axles and greasing the Kwikee steps as they were sticky.

Can't wait for the weekend to really get to tinker with it.
20 REPLIES 20

Jrork
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having a ball with this thing! So far, I've installed a new stereo system, a ScanGauge II that is reading my trans and water temps (as well as rpm and voltage). Pulled the power steps apart and cleaned, lubed and painted them. Next up is a wireless back up camera so I can watch the boat when we tow it.

Still a lot to learn. Still not sure I understand the electrical system. Went out this morning and the coach batteries were dead. I don't think I left anything on so if I indeed didnt, I must have a drain somewhere. Also, the "store" switch doesnt seem to be operating like I thought it should so I need to be cautious of leaving it plugged in so I don't ruin the coach batteries.

With all the said, I love it and our first trip is coming up next weekend

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
Jrork wrote:
Silverdale is across the sound from Seattle between Bremerton and Poulsbo.

Be sure to honk your horn and give a wave to the Sewer Rat when driving around town. 😉 He is my BIL.

Travelon
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum and to class A rv'ing. There's lots of places to winter camp in the Northwest, and since we're having a very mild winter here, should be able to get some rv time in. again, welcome and enjoy.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Got it I must have been there.

Jrork wrote:
Thanks again guys. I had a chance to play with it and get a better understanding of some of the switches and what each does. I love this thing. The fit and finish is so nice. Installed a new stereo system in it as the one that was in it was the original am/fm/cassette unit. Definately going to try to track down a wiring schematic from Rexhall. It has a Intellitec EMS and I need to figure out exactly what that does.

BigRed, Silverdale is across the sound from Seattle between Bremerton and Poulsbo.

Thanks again guys

Jrork
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again guys. I had a chance to play with it and get a better understanding of some of the switches and what each does. I love this thing. The fit and finish is so nice. Installed a new stereo system in it as the one that was in it was the original am/fm/cassette unit. Definately going to try to track down a wiring schematic from Rexhall. It has a Intellitec EMS and I need to figure out exactly what that does.

BigRed, Silverdale is across the sound from Seattle between Bremerton and Poulsbo.

Thanks again guys

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your motorhome. Since your coach is a gasoline motor home I do not believe it come with an inverter unless it was added later on.

Most of your lights will be DC. Some coaches will have a couple of AC powered lights. You probably have and AC/propane type refrigerator, and AC microwave oven, and AC television.

Your coach originally come with two house batteries and a chassis battery. If somebody did install a inverter, you can then convert from your house batteries DC to AC where you can watch TV without shore power connection.
You probably will have a propane/electric water heater.

You will like your class A coach. Now go out there and enjoy it.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

rollingslow
Explorer
Explorer
I love my rexhall. Well built solid units. You should be able to enjoy for years The electrical system isnt that bad if you can get a diagram

GTN_and_Catz
Explorer
Explorer
Jrork,
Welcome. As you may already be aware - info on the Rexhall line is somewhat sparse but you'll still be able to glean a lot of info from the forum. We're still enjoying our Rexair and continue to find "interesting" things about each and every time we take it out. Retiring this year so now we'll be doing some serious tripping.
Gene
Gene
2003 36' Rexhall RexAir
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Demco Kar Kaddy SS
Blue Ox Aventa II
2 Ragdolls
1 Tabby

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Where is Silverdale? I love coastal Washington. Fishing Cowlitz River etc.

Jrork wrote:
bigred1cav wrote:
Crock pot in sink with meal cooking will be ready when you stop for night.

THAT is brilliant!!! We may have to try that. 🙂

Jrork
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
Crock pot in sink with meal cooking will be ready when you stop for night.

THAT is brilliant!!! We may have to try that. 🙂

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
What you're gonna like best is when you pull in to site in a drenching downpour or you must get off the road for a snowstorm. You need only put out your bedroom slide drop the levelers and turn on TV Others will be laboring in the rain or snow you'll be having popcorn and hugging your wife.

First rip to Fl in winter I had to seek safety in Bowling Green Ky. Bad ice on road. Pulled in a Cracker Barrel and in 5 minutes without going outside was as comfortable as a hotel room.

We are heading west this summer late May. We always drink bottled water and use it for coffee we don't like the various tastes of water use bottles for most cooking also. Crock pot in sink with meal cooking will be ready when you stop for night.

Jrork wrote:
Thanks everyone for the welcomes and tips. This is our 5th RV but first motorhome. We're really excited to go on our first short trip to try it out

Thanks again

Jrork
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the welcomes and tips. This is our 5th RV but first motorhome. We're really excited to go on our first short trip to try it out

Thanks again

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
When you are hooking up your cord to the shore power pedestal in a RV park, always check the voltage before plugging in, and then before you plug in, turn the pedestal circuit breaker OFF and then plug in and turn the breaker back on. Reverse for unplugging, turn the breaker OFF before unplugging. Keeps the plug from sparking/arcing and burning/pitting the prongs.
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Last year I bought a 98 Winnebago and I had so many questions! The folks here answered them. Great bunch!