cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hit my mirror. Need help removing mirror housing.

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
After 10 years I finally did it. Got to close to the MH garage post.

The mirror is screwed into the MH body from the mirror side. I'm having trouble figuring out how to remove the housing from the mirror.

The fitting closest to the MH appears to be one solid piece. Not sure how to remove the housing. I can't see any screws, it looks like one solid smooth piece. Any help would be appreciated.

2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat
2002 Ford Explorer, drag along
3 Standard Poodles 1 Mini Poodle
Vancouver Island BC, Canada
15 REPLIES 15

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Diplomat_St_Poodles wrote:
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
Been there done that! Not too difficult:

The mirror head will remove from the swing arm and the swing arm will remove from the base. It is also possible to remove the entire unit from where it seems to have broken loose:

In the base are 4 plugs that cover screw heads. Pry off the plugs and undo the large screws--they need a large Phillips head screw driver

BUT there are control wires running up the inside. In our rig there was a plug accessible from inside the rig but it was a real stretch!

Once I got the screws out I reached in with a pair of side cutters and cut each wire. I helps to have someone else take the weight of the assembly. You can also remove the swing arm by backing out the large allen screws and lifting the arm up and out. IF the wires are long enough.

IF the screws have torn out of the fibreglass and won't unscrew then I think cutting them off would be the only option, though you might be able to grip them with a pair of pliers on vicegrips to remove the screws.

Looks like a Velvac mirror. You might want to contact them.

Good Luck

I see you are from Vancouver Island. I should have called you over to help ๐Ÿ™‚

The key word there is from. We are in Zihuatanejo until things dry up and warm up!

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:

The mirror head will remove from the swing arm and the swing arm will remove from the base. It is also possible to remove the entire unit from where it seems to have broken loose:

In the base are 4 plugs that cover screw heads. Pry off the plugs and undo the large screws--they need a large Phillips head screw driver

BUT there are control wires running up the inside. In our rig there was a plug accessible from inside the rig but it was a real stretch!

Once I got the screws out I reached in with a pair of side cutters and cut each wire. I helps to have someone else take the weight of the assembly. You can also remove the swing arm by backing out the large allen screws and lifting the arm up and out. IF the wires are long enough.

IF the screws have torn out of the fibreglass and won't unscrew then I think cutting them off would be the only option, though you might be able to grip them with a pair of pliers on vicegrips to remove the screws.

Good Luck

I see you are from Vancouver Island. I should have called you over to help ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
My husband would likely have figured it out, but sadly he passed away this year. Even though We both drove the MH he looked after all the maintainance. I was the holder and fetcher of tools. So it has been a big learning curve for me.

I will get my Dad to assist in the dismantling and reassembling processes. I realize how heavy the mirror is so we will tie a rope to it and attach it to the beam to hold it. Fortunately he is a retired electronic technician so he can unhook and rehook the heater and adjustment wiring.

Thanks again for all the help. Will post pictures of the fix when we get it done.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
Found the plug. Finally stopped raining so I could get a better look.
Will let you all know how it works out. Thanks for the help.

2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Diplomat_St_Poodles wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Remove the plastic plug on the bottom exposing the bolt that holds the arm on. Remove the arm and unplug the wires. The cover will slide off exposing the four wood screws that hold it on. You may be able to use larger screws, even drilling the holes in the alum base larger. You can use bolts but getting a washer and nut on will take someone with long arms.

There are no plastic plugs at the bottom of the base. It is one solid unit. Hopefully when I get the arm off I will be able to slide the housing off.

I can remove it from the MH but I will still need the housing removed from the base to screw it back onto the chassis.

There SHOULD be a plastic plug directly below where the arm is mounted. You remove that round plug and that gives access to the 9/16 inch bolt head you remove to take the arm off the mount base. Doug

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Remove the plastic plug on the bottom exposing the bolt that holds the arm on. Remove the arm and unplug the wires. The cover will slide off exposing the four wood screws that hold it on. You may be able to use larger screws, even drilling the holes in the alum base larger. You can use bolts but getting a washer and nut on will take someone with long arms.

There are no plastic plugs at the bottom of the base. It is one solid unit. Hopefully when I get the arm off I will be able to slide the housing off.

I can remove it from the MH but I will still need the housing removed from the base to screw it back onto the chassis.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Diplomat_St_Poo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.

The part closest to the MH seems to be one solid piece. The screws definitely come from the mirror side and bolt into the chassis. I will start by removing the mirror, then the arm and hopefully as Doug said I can get off the housing.

I will let you know how I do.
2005 GB Cruise Air XL DP
3 slides, 350 Cat

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you see in the gap and see screw threads? If so you can tell if they are coming from inside the RV or from outside (which would mean there is a removable cover). I am guessing that the other posters are correct that once you remove the mirror and associated bolt the entire bottom housing will come off.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
dup.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer

Good Luck

What I did was: remove the

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You remove the ARM from the wall mount(bottom bolt). Then, the Black Plastic housing will pop off and expose the 4 mount screws. Doug

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
From the looks of it, I'd say a SawzAll would take care of it, or at least expose the insides....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I'm only guessing, but can you take the arm off, is there a nut on the bottom so you can take the arm off. then perhaps that will allow you to take the black housing off to expose mounting nuts underneath.

Or does that black housing pop off, maybe with a screw driver, carefully prying it?