cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Home carpet in RV with slide

balfre1946
Explorer
Explorer
We have a berber style carpet from our house that is almost new..can we use it in an RV as our old RV carpet is ghastly
7 REPLIES 7

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
large format tile is murder to work with in an rv. just try and figure out how to cut that stuff around rounded corners and I'll hire you
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some RV manufacturers use carpet tack strips around the edges(like residential installations), some use glue, and some use millions of staples. My Monaco coach used both tack strips and staples for the main living area and some glue in the cockpit. As soon as you start to take the old carpet up, you will quickly see what you have to deal with.

G_and_D
Explorer
Explorer
The carpet in my 97 coachman C is tired and I am planning on replacing it with large blocks of linoleum tile. I am wondering how carpeting is applied in the factory. I havnt tried removing it yet. Does the factory usually glue down and if so what is the best way to remove the old carpet without leaving underlayment on the floor that couls interfere?

Thanks for all suggestions.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to Home Depot and buy yourself a roll of cheap brown paper. Then use the paper to make a pattern to fit exactly where the carpet will go. Tape the pieces of paper together and you will have your pattern that you can use to cut the carpet. Mark the top of your paper pattern so that you can flip it and place it on top of the BACK of your new carpet. Use a marker to mark your cut lines and you are ready to cut.
If you pull off the old carpet, you will get an idea of how it is cut under the slides.
I would suggest that once the carpet is removed, that you put a couple of coats of urethane on the sub-floor to protect it from future leaks or spills as well as seal in any previous odors.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will add the comments above apply to many things in the RV

Television
Radios (120 volt)
Microwave
Just to name a few.. the Fridge may be a special RV unit (This kind is also used industrially) or it may be a common home type depending on several things.

The Toilet is generally special. But the sinks.. And epically the faucets.. nothing special there at all.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Carpet is carpet. It doesn't care where it's being installed.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, most all RV carpeting is actually residential carpeting.