cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Horsepower be in a 1993 Cummins 5.9 in a Dolphin Moho

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
As per the Subject. Whadayathink. I have found conflicting info on the web and in the documentation of the motorhome.

While we are at it, would it be a 4 speed or 6 speed Allison.

Any other comments on the coach drive line are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.
22 REPLIES 22

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. Thats what this one has as well. You'll be happy to know that it has a new home. The couple love it and it has already been out on its first road trip. Thanks to all who responded. Sometimes it's hard to find data on discontinued units and I Iike to have the answers for when the questions are asked.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 94 Diesel Bounder with the 5.9 turbo charged, after cooled cummins. It has 230 hp. Also has a 6 speed Allison. Both still run like new!

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
So, it's a 230 Hp and a 4 speed Allison. It is quite slow off the line but after a couple of seconds spools up ok. Easy to drive but not as straight of a tracker as some out there. It's on an Oshkosh chassis and although I'm not a huge fan of the smaller steering wheel I kinda like the old girl. It's a simple straight ahead, coach, no slides, has levelling jacks etc. I like it. It would be awesome for a trip down the Baja. Hmmmmm. ๐Ÿ™‚

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Arriving late here but my GUESS is 190-230 hp and a 4 speed tranny.

Will wait for the answer.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Yepir. I just need to get a few minutes and get to it. Hopefully Monday morning I'll have a chance to get at it.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
John & Angela wrote:
tatest wrote:
The 5.9 in that era was sold in different ratings for different duty cycles. 100% power heavy duty applications were 160 HP and lower (some as low as 120 HP), while light duty applications like RV and pickup trucks could be rated 190 to 230 HP.

So yours could be anywhere from the highest HD rating (160) to the highest light duty rating offered (230). Cummins will know.

Interesting info, from all, thanks.

Its actually not mine but its on the lot and I like to know the answers to the questions before I get them. Nice unit, seems well screwed together. Love the sound of the Cumnmins. Nicest sounding motorhome on the lot. LOL. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm taking it out in the morning for a quick run, I'll count the gears and post back. The horsepower thing will be more difficult but there is another box of paperwork that may shed some light on the topic.

Cheers.

Simplest way to get the real data is get the serial number off the engine and off the transmission and go to or call Cummins. Go to Allison and you can find out which transmission you have.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 1988 Xplorer with a Cummins 5.9 Turbo.... 180hp......
I don't remember the # of gears in the Allison........
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it was a busy day and didn't have time to drive it but I fid notice two things.

1. There was no numeric indicator on the transmission like in my Revolution so that won't help me.

2. The Allison transmission selector says 1 2 3 and drive so...actually doesn't tell me anything. It'll have to wait for a drive and I'll count gears. For those who are interested I'll post my findings next week. Also good archive stuff for the board.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
John, are you working at a RV dealer?

Also, would the transmission readout tell you how many gears are available?

MM.

Yep and don't know. But I'll let you know later. My extent of driving it so far has been from the back lot to the front lot but I have to check the cruise control for operation today so I'll find out soon enough. I love test drives. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
John, are you working at a RV dealer?

Also, would the transmission readout tell you how many gears are available?

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Rickieblue wrote:
Get the serial number of the engine and research it here..Cummins
and the Allison can be tricky to figure out counting shifts...sometimes it is a shift or sometimes a converter lockup feels the same... so get the serial number of that and research it here..Allison

Very true on the tranny although if its a 4 speedits easier to tell, eg, three shifts and a subtle change to lock up if you feel it all.

Thanks for the links though.

Rickieblue
Explorer
Explorer
Get the serial number of the engine and research it here..Cummins
and the Allison can be tricky to figure out counting shifts...sometimes it is a shift or sometimes a converter lockup feels the same... so get the serial number of that and research it here..Allison
2000 Damon Escaper...model 3980 Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins ISC 8.3 liter 330 HP, Allison MD3060 6 speed automatic
Pretty much bullet proof drivetrain

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
whoops, double post

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
The 5.9 in that era was sold in different ratings for different duty cycles. 100% power heavy duty applications were 160 HP and lower (some as low as 120 HP), while light duty applications like RV and pickup trucks could be rated 190 to 230 HP.

So yours could be anywhere from the highest HD rating (160) to the highest light duty rating offered (230). Cummins will know.

Interesting info, from all, thanks.

Its actually not mine but its on the lot and I like to know the answers to the questions before I get them. Nice unit, seems well screwed together. Love the sound of the Cumnmins. Nicest sounding motorhome on the lot. LOL. ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm taking it out in the morning for a quick run, I'll count the gears and post back. The horsepower thing will be more difficult but there is another box of paperwork that may shed some light on the topic.

Cheers.