cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

House batteries voltage monitor. Question not answered.

thriftydutch
Explorer
Explorer
Last year when we were in New York city my two house batteries were drained. The batteries are used to run our fridge but were drained too much to operate the fridge properly. When the batteries were charged up again the fridge was working properly. I want to install a voltage monitor from Ebay but some have 3 wires while other have 2 wires. What is the difference and do I need a monitor for each battery. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this. I want to buy a cheap monitor as my name suggests.
Our fridge is a 12v-120v

1990 L.E.R. Dodge B 250 Class B 17'

10 REPLIES 10

WilliamKorn
Explorer
Explorer
thriftydutch wrote:
Last year when we were in New York city my two house batteries were drained. The batteries are used to run our fridge but were drained too much to operate the fridge properly. When the batteries were charged up again the fridge was working properly. I want to install a voltage monitor from Ebay but some have 3 wires while other have 2 wires. What is the difference and do I need a monitor for each battery. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this. I want to buy a cheap monitor as my name suggests.
Our fridge is a 12v-120v

It appears that your Refrigerator is a compressor type therefore disregard the "put it on propane ๐Ÿ™‚

As many 12 volt outlets were installed using undersized wire, I recommend an outlet connected by alligator clips directly to the batteries (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-to-Car-Battery-Alligator-Clip-Charger-Cable-Wire-/390957016123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b06daa43b) and then plug a volt meter directly into it. This will give you a far more accurate voltage reading. If your batteries are std. lead acid type then charging them when the voltage drops below 12.3 volts will greatly extend battery life.
William Korn
Out West!
williamkorn@msn.com

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
TinyoneRV wrote:
How do you run your frig using your batteries as the power source without solar or running the generator? I have tow 12volt batteries in parallel that will run my frig for about an hour (or less) on a warm day.
Put the fridge on propane. A single battery should operate the 12v fridge controls for 3 to 6 days.

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
The installed detectors in my RV have a built in low voltage alert. Beeps when the battery is low. I believe this is a standard feature in all of them. So you already have a voltage monitor. :W

It's how I found out my convertor was going bad.

I wish mine had that, but nope. I had to put in a digital monitor.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

TinyoneRV
Explorer
Explorer
How do you run your frig using your batteries as the power source without solar or running the generator? I have tow 12volt batteries in parallel that will run my frig for about an hour (or less) on a warm day.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
The installed detectors in my RV have a built in low voltage alert. Beeps when the battery is low. I believe this is a standard feature in all of them. So you already have a voltage monitor. :W

It's how I found out my convertor was going bad.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Amazon $7 Two wire is fine.

Consider putting a 100 watt solar panel on the roof....

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I got one a few months ago, off Amazon I think.
It was only about $10 bucks.
Then I saw with a quick search you could get one that reads your 12 V side and your 120 V side at the same time for about $14.
try a quick google search, if you don't find it, I'll look for the link.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
not a bad idea to carry a voltmeter in the van...that way you can trouble shoot/ check house batteries, RV batteries, ac outlets, shorepower...continuity thru fuses etc etc etc.

so all you need is to determine an easy test point for the 12 volt- for instance a light fixture, look for 12 VDC power near the TV or the water pump or...

mike

thriftydutch
Explorer
Explorer
My house batteries don't have a cig powered style outlet. I would like to connect it directly to the batteries.

1990 L.E.R. Dodge B 250 Class B 17'

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe something like this...very simple. I have one and it works great.
Will work in any cig. style power port in your rig.
Voltage Monitor...LINK
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro