cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HOUSE BATTERY HOOKUP

Boblou
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 Class A Damon Intruder and i purchased two SAMSclub golf cart 6 volt batteries. They lasted only 3 years. Now i Am ready for two more, but here is the problem. The house batteries are located under one of the steps and the hole to put them in is 7 inches wide and all the 6 volts i have seen are at least 7 1/8 so too big to put in from the top so must come up from bottom. Now i am thinking, why put the batteries back in the step, why not in the front storage compartment and run twice as long cables. CAN THIS BE DONE, WHAT ARE THE DRAWBACKS?
7 REPLIES 7

donhoward49
Explorer
Explorer
Easy way would be to pay someone to slide them in for you. Once every three to six years.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

You have to do more than just reinforce the floor. A support brace needs to be welded to support the extra weight.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rexabbot
Explorer
Explorer
If your batteries only lasted 3 yrs you need to make sure you are not running them below 50% charge and keep water in them.
The should last longer than that.
Probably double that time.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
It can be done but you need nice THICK cables to support the amps.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Boblou
Explorer
Explorer
I THINK I COULD REINFORCE THE FLOOR IN THE COMPARTMENT TO SUPPORT THE TWO BATTERIES. THE PROBLEM WITH COMING UP FROM THE BOTTOM IS I AM ALMOST 77 AND EACH OF BATTERIES WEIGHTS 62 LBS OR MORE

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I would use the steel rack that's under the stair. That's what I did. And had to go up from the bottom. But could do all the work from the top. The storage bays are not strong enough at least in our Damon coach.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
will the floor support the weight?