cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How about 2003 Newmar Mountain AIr

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at a Newmar Mountain Air 2003 with 40, 000 miles or so. In great shape from the looks of it. Tires are 2012. GM engine. SO the question is, THOUGHTS???? ANYONE WHO OWNED one and troubles or whatever you can tell me. Paint looks solid, interior is in impeccable condition. What would you say it is being sold for? What did you like and didn't like? What are the things you have heard if you have not owned? What are the things that would concern you about a GM engine with 40,000 miles on it driven back and forth to Fl and parked in summer while living in it and not sure what happened to it in Winter if lived in or sat.
Thanks for any help.
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers
15 REPLIES 15

Bruce_Brown
RVER wrote:
Bruce Brown what does CCC mean when you said it had a "fairly low net CCC" ?

CCC is the cargo carrying capacity. That is the amount of cargo you can add without being overweight on the chassis.

On that one, look inside one of the kitchen cabinet doors and they'll be a sticker showing all of the weights, with the net CCC figured. Newmar weighs each individual MH and prints the sticker.

You'll see they figure in full water, propane, and fuel, as well as an average passenger weight.

If my memory serves me correctly I think you'll find it to be around 700-900 pounds, depending on the floorplan.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown what does CCC mean when you said it had a "fairly low net CCC" ?
S and S Co-Travelers

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
The average of 3300/year driving is a tad low as 5000/yr is recommended but if it was given regular maintenance and appropriate time based road trips that shouldn't be a problem. An engine/tranni/drivetrain should be exercised on a regular basis. Out on the road, not on a parking pad. Since you already bought it, you probably have the maintenance records so peruse them, they'll tell you whether or not you need to get right on changing stuff, or can hold off a while.

Newmar is generally considered a high quality rig, and at only 40,000 miles, hope you got a gem.

Good luck and happy miles!
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to mention in my previous post that it is still lawful to run the 8.1 Chevy engine! The year 2009 and below were all Grandfathered in by the EPA to anyone owning and driving the 8.1.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Bosch made faulty brake calipers, there was a Workhorse recall on those brakes. If the calipers on your new coach weren't replaced, it still can be done for free at any Workhorse Dealer. The 8.1 Vortec, Chevy 496 cubic inch engine is now a obsolete GM engine made that way by GM and the EPA. The EPA claimed in 2009 (the year this engine was discontinued) that this engine could not pass Federal Emissions Standards and GM chose not to meet those standards. IMHO, the 8.1 Chevy engine was the best gas motor ever put into a RV, and I say that having owned both a Ford V-10 and a Chevy 8.1 in RV's.

big_jim_2
Explorer II
Explorer II
A gm engine with 40,000 miles has probably at least two thirds of it's life ahead of it. My old 460 Ford ran good at 115000 when I got rid of it.

bobcatcharlie
Explorer
Explorer
We owned an 03 Mt. Aire before present coach. Great MH, did Alaska in 06. Think it was one of the best coaches Newmar built.
2004 Dutch Star

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
what was wrong with the brakes? I will ask about the recall work done. Thanks we want to use this to go to Montana and Florida so was worried about the engine but from what I can tell the maiuntainence was done exactly as it should be so hope it is good for me.
S and S Co-Travelers

Bruce_Brown
Congrats. You'll be fine with that engine. Lots of 8.1s out there.

There was a recall on the brakes with that chassis, be sure that's been taken care of.
Bruce & Jill Brown

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
WE pulled the trigger and bought the 2003 Mountain Aire. It has the Vortec engine which concerns me a little but started up and idles very smoothly, seems to have power getting on highway, very quiet ride really. Anyone out there be concerned with 40,000 mi on a Vortec engine? GM does not do RV engines anymore, just Ford V-10 in gassers. THEY are NOISEY driving down the road.
S and S Co-Travelers

Bruce_Brown
When we bought our '03 Kountry Star diesel it was either going to be the diesel or a Mountain Aire gasser. The ONLY thing we saw at the time with the Mountain Aire was a fairly low net CCC. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't outstanding either.

We ended up going with the Kountry Star DP and have since bought another - our 3rd new Newmar.

Newmar makes a great MH, for sure. If we were buying again today it absolutely would be another Newmar.
Bruce & Jill Brown

backhoemike
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 1995 London aire and love it. Holding up well for her years , no complaints with Newmar from my end. Upgrade fridge , Tires battery , I put new air bags due to age but was working fine. some maintenance issues only. The older couple we purchased from sold us this one for a new bounder and after two months called wanting to buy back their old coach and let me make a profit and I was sorry I couldn't oblige them... Dive in you will love it.

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
Mountain Aire is a very good coach in my experience, the higher end Newmars in general are top shelf.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Chowan wrote:
You might have better response in the newmar section

There is no Newmar section on this forum but you might try at irv2.com

As a partial answer....Newmar is an excellent company and if the motorhome has been well taken care of and within your budget, it's a good one to buy. We had no issues with our Newmar although it wasn't the model you're looking at.

I just did a quick search and here are a couple for price comparisons:

http://www.rvt.com/New-and-Used-Newmar-Mountain-Aire-Class-A---Gas-RVs-For-Sale-On-RVT.com/results?t...

Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel