cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do folks like their Fleetwood Tioga 1999-2005?

orangecowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I'm brand new to RV's and just read a few books about this. Fleetwood Tioga was highly recommended and I was searching & found some good prices for 99-05's

Folks who have owned these models - are/were you happy with them?
how easy to drive on highways?
how easy to in windy weather?
is it easier to drive some lengths over others?
how easy to drive with towing a car behind and still have good driving control?
full size shower/toilet?

My plan is to travel from state to state for work and making this my main home for a year - 1 person.

Any other suggestions are welcome.
Just started looking at Rvs

Many thanks
20 REPLIES 20

orangecowboy
Explorer
Explorer
cgmartine thanks for your post. I like hearing all the things you like about the Tioga.

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
I know you asked about Tiogas up to the year 2005, and although mine is a 2008, it would be very similar. First, the main thing I like about mine is that is does not have a front cab window, therefore, no leaks. Also the auxiliary generator start is very convenient when the house batteries go down, or when you just want to start it from the driver's seat, or standing outside. The rear walk-around bed is another plus. Two slides on mine. It is a 31M model. House batteries under the side steps makes it very convenient for access. Another great thing is the V-10 Triton engine (Ford).

orangecowboy
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD thanks for sharing your experience with Tioga. Interesting about the Chevy chassis; I did not know that.

darsben1 thanks for the insights. I do live near Syracuse - I'll get back to you if I find a Tioga near by.

Bordercollie thanks for sharing your experiences as well. By your calculations a 99 is nearing its 20th anniversary and perhaps time for the same upgrades it needed at 10 years old.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Fleetwood Tioga and Jamboree lines are almost identical. We bought a new 2004 model 26Q, (27 feet bumper to bumper) Roof has not leaked with minimum care. Rear bedroom with RV queen bed, access on one side and end. No slides. Fridge, roof AC, fresh water pump and converter charger needed replacement around ten year point. Ford E-450 chassis and drive train are similar for most Class C's as are appliances, AC and house battery systems. Cabinetry and upholstery are "average". Tiogas and Jamborees are widely used in RV rental business.
After initial dealer service dept fixes, we have been satisfied with our rig. There are a lot of other less popular brands that are similar. Some think Winnebago has somewhat better housebox quality. Only misgiving, we wish that the bed had access on both sides or twin bed setup. All rigs have compromises. Choose carefully on length and floor plan, expensive to sell a rig and buy something "better".

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Orangecowboy.
Buying something old will REQUIRE you to put money into it at the get go.
For example if the tires are over 6-7 years old the NEED to be replaced. It does not matter that they look new they NEED replacing. The chemicals have all dried out and they will fail usually at speed. This can cause thousands of dollars of damage. I had one fail and it took out my fresh water tank and associated plumbing. On a class C new tires could run another $500 to $1000

You should have a good mechanic look at the drive train.
The roof and walls need to be inspected for leaks as leaks are a cause of delamination where the walls separate into layers. If you are uneasy looking maybe a mobile RV repair person can do it.

Since you are Orange if you are near SYRACUSE I can recommend a couple of good places for inspections
An intereting thread just posted about someone buying an older MH
please read it.
Click here for thread
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2006 Tioga that was a Former Rental it now has over 100000 miles on and it is in great shape,it is on a 05 chassis.

In that market it took a beating but everything is in great shape,all drawers,cabinets and doors are tight and problem free.

Mine is on a Chevy Chassis,it handles great in all types of weather and not prone to the handling problems that plague the ones on a Ford Chassis.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C