cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Important is Double Pane Windows? (Precept 3UL & others)

gowestwardho
Explorer
Explorer
I was curious if anyone had an opinion on how important double pane windows might be on a coach? In looking at the Jayco Precept 31UL I noticed it is all single pane glass, albeit frameless and tinted. (But for insulation value that means nothing).

I'm speaking more of high temperature camping than winter camping in this regard. Has anyone tried living with both and noticed a significant difference in inside temperature and the need to run the A/C a lot more because of double pane (or lack thereof)? Or is it NBD?
41 REPLIES 41

DanTheRVMan
Explorer
Explorer
Most important window the windhield is the same regardless

roof, floor and back of MH is same regardless of window type.

The windows are such a small part of heat transfer that it is not that important. Yes dual pane will provide more insulation but when you look at totality of all surface areas it will not matter that much.

Exception is those who live up north and hate condensation on windows

Much more important in Arizona would be is your windshield pointed at the sun in hot weather - that is a BIG deal
Dan
Tiffin Phaeton
Allegro Red 36ft Sold

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
For me no double pane windows would be an absolute deal breaker. We lived through our TT days with single pane and never again. Honestly, I thought they were standard in all class A MH's.

Nope, even the famed build quality of Newmar, you won't find them on their entry level offering - the Bay Star. Not even an option. Some mid level MH's don't have them. I am not sure how far up the food chain you have to go in some brands to get them standard.
2013 ACE 29.2

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
For me no double pane windows would be an absolute deal breaker. We lived through our TT days with single pane and never again. Honestly, I thought they were standard in all class A MH's.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
I doubt you will find an entry level coach with dual pane windows.

Interesting. I honestly thought dual pane windows were pretty much standard in all motorhomes. We had looked at the Thor ACE and really liked it, as well as many of the other entry level coaches. But I guess I really did get lucky to find my used one in such great shape.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
gowestwardho wrote:
Effy,
I had started out looking at the Thor ACE as well but now have my eye on the Jayco Precept 31UL. As near as I recall though the ACE doesn't have the double pan windows as an option either does it? (The Precept doesn't too) So you point being neither of this entry level coaches would offer it. But have you had any issues with only single pane? Or are you not really in extreme temperatures enough to notice? Just curious about your experience since these are two similiar coaches. Thx

Nope, the ACE doesn't have them, pretty sure the Vista, Bay Star, Pursuit, FR3 - any of the entry level MH's won't have them. We bought our coach because it hit the price point vs amount of use. We usually only take 2 - 3 longer than a week trips per year, and the rest are weekenders. So it didn't make sense for us to buy more coach than we needed. It works for us but the concessions were conscious ones - I knew what level of coach I was buying and it's shortcomings, but it suits our needs. I can't speak for all coaches but I will tell you this, when it's hot (100 or near) and travelling the AC will run non stop and usually can't keep up. When camped it does a little better likely due to lack of engine and road heat. We don't cold camp a lot but the furnace runs a lot when we do and cycle time is pretty fast when it gets below 30. Like kicking on every 5 mins. But that is my coach which is about as entry level as it gets. Poorly insulated I am sure, no doubt dual panes would have a benefit. How much it's hard for me to say because my coach has a lot going against it in the insulation department. AS others have said, single panes offer very little in noise reduction too. My guess would be that the majority of entry level MH's perform this way. They are made for weekending and shorter trips. But you get what you pay for. If I were looking for something I would use more, longer or in harsher environments, I would look further up the food chain. Dual pane windows, better R value in the walls, ceiling and floor, 2 AC's minimum if not 3, and a more sophisticated furnace would be a few things of concern. You just don't get that stuff in the entry level space. Hope that helps in some way.
2013 ACE 29.2

travelzoo
Explorer
Explorer
No dual pane windows would be a deal breaker for us.

gowestwardho
Explorer
Explorer
Effy,
I had started out looking at the Thor ACE as well but now have my eye on the Jayco Precept 31UL. As near as I recall though the ACE doesn't have the double pan windows as an option either does it? (The Precept doesn't too) So you point being neither of this entry level coaches would offer it. But have you had any issues with only single pane? Or are you not really in extreme temperatures enough to notice? Just curious about your experience since these are two similiar coaches. Thx

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
Dual Pane windows. Easier to heat and cool. And makes the living space a lot quieter.

X1000
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt you will find an entry level coach with dual pane windows.
2013 ACE 29.2

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Ever sat in a car on a hot, sunny day? I wouldn't own a coach with single pane glass everywhere.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Dual Pane windows. Easier to heat and cool. And makes the living space a lot quieter.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't want single pane glasss.

Dual pane windows
Dual pane windows 2
Dual pane 2013