cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long can you go on a 50 amp extension cord?

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
How long can you go on a store bought 50 extension cord? I need to run both AC's and lights TV etc, the normal things. Is 100 feet safe? or 75? or 50? or ? It's for a 38 ft Class A diesel.

Was able to measure this morning, total length will be 100. My cord in the motorhome is about 30 ft. My brother in law, already has 40 length to his trailer, which I'll unplug from his trailer that is in storage and plug into that. So I need to get a 30 foot extension, for a total of 100 feet. Yes, I have a surge protector at the motor home too.
31 REPLIES 31

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
How long can you go on a store bought 50 extension cord?
Do you have several home depots and lowes around? Go early morning to the electrical section. You might get lucky and find cable that was returned and on sale. You would pretty much build your own somewhat budget extension cord. I got an Uglys book in my truck somewhere. Couldnt tell ya off hand what size wire to do 100 feet at 50amps.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i've personally done 50'...25' on the primary cord and another 25' on a 50-amp extention but it was fall and no need for either AC. as i recall there was no significant voltage drop in the coach. i keep a digital meter plugged in that displays voltage and cycles. i guess it woukd depend on the quality of the cords.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle