cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reflectix on window, long-term?

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to block the rear window that's over the bed, in the rear corner of my motorhome. Is there any issue with fastening bubble layered Reflectix to the inside, and leaving it there indefinitely?

My main concern is excessive heat buildup between the Reflectix and the window, that could crack the window. The plan is to block up this window, remove the valance and shade, and install a faux headboard across the wall above the bed. I don't want heat buildup between the headboard and window, thus the Reflectix.

I like to sit up in bed to read or work on a laptop, and the window and shade are just a big nuisance. There is another large window on the side, so there will be plenty of light remaining.

If not Reflectix, what else would work that would look decent from the outside, and block incoming heat effectively?
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
19 REPLIES 19

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I use a piece of corrugated cardboard for the large window in our bedroom. With the tinted windows, I didn't even need to paint it.
Now for the overhead skylight, who the H E double hockey sticks thought it was a good idea to put a skylight in the bedroom? This is in addition too the Fantastic Vent that also lets light in. I painted the outside of the skylight black, then painted over the black with white Flex Seal paint, or whatever it is called. It is the thicker stuff in a spray can. That light is completely blocked now, allowing us to sleep past 4:30 am in June, and without the heat build up when we are boondocking/dry camping.

I have one of those "pillow" things to stuff in the skylight. I agree they are awful.

I'm planning to put a fake headboard of some type across the window so I can lean back against it in bed. Thus the concern about heat buildup.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now for the overhead skylight, who the H E double hockey sticks thought it was a good idea to put a skylight in the bedroom?

You got that right. It was in my TC no less. Talk about being near the heating element ! :E Some friends mentioned that we have a lot of heat going on in our cabover and I took it as a compliment but then realized.....they were talking about our skylight :S

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
You can peel the foil off the white foam boards at home depot. Cut it with accuracy and it will hold itself tight in there.

Get a piece of paper. Hold it against the window. Use a pencil to scratch the rounded corner shape. Then cut along the pencil line and use that template to cut the foam board.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a piece of corrugated cardboard for the large window in our bedroom. With the tinted windows, I didn't even need to paint it.
Now for the overhead skylight, who the H E double hockey sticks thought it was a good idea to put a skylight in the bedroom? This is in addition too the Fantastic Vent that also lets light in. I painted the outside of the skylight black, then painted over the black with white Flex Seal paint, or whatever it is called. It is the thicker stuff in a spray can. That light is completely blocked now, allowing us to sleep past 4:30 am in June, and without the heat build up when we are boondocking/dry camping.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I have used it for more than 6 years in the window of the overhead bunk,to keep the heat down and keep from sun bleaching the curtains,it faces east when stored here at home.

There has not been any downside to this or any problems. I also use it in the rear and side windows while stored here at home and also camping when needed.

The nice thing I like about it over the solid,which I tried,if you want to see out all you have to do is take it down and roll it up for easy storage. Not so on the solid boards,always a storage problem,I found it was a real pain.

Same here, only problem I know of is if you have dual pane windows. My local glass company said not to use it on dual pane home windows. He said they get a lot of business from fixing dual pane home windows because of this causing heat build up. I took it out of the few dual pane home I was using it in.

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
We were told not to use Reflectix on our park model in FL over the summer as it would possibly break the seals on the dual pane glass and void the warrenty. We use heavy cardboard but behind the bed for your use, maybe foam board sprayed black on the outside.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the same "sealant meltdown" on my RV in NY City a few years ago. Very hot and direct sunlight. I stopped using it for that reason.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
I used to use reflectix to keep the trailer cool when boon-docking in the high dessert. I came back to the trailer one time, and the sealant on the bedroom, which didn't get any shade that day, was melting. Luckily I only lost some trim, and as soon as I removed the reflectix, the sealant started to set back up before the glass fell out.

So... I still use it all winter, but I'm selective in the summer. I won't use in anymore in very hot weather if the window will be in direct sun all day.

White vinyl on the outside would probably lower the temps enough so it won't be a problem. A window would be small enough to cover with sign-vinyl, which is much cheaper than automotive-vinyl, and you might be able to pick up some remnants for very cheap at a sign shop.

This is a very good suggestion. I will be going by a sign shop tomorrow so will stop and ask.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use reflectix to keep the trailer cool when boon-docking in the high dessert. I came back to the trailer one time, and the sealant on the bedroom, which didn't get any shade that day, was melting. Luckily I only lost some trim, and as soon as I removed the reflectix, the sealant started to set back up before the glass fell out.

So... I still use it all winter, but I'm selective in the summer. I won't use in anymore in very hot weather if the window will be in direct sun all day.

White vinyl on the outside would probably lower the temps enough so it won't be a problem. A window would be small enough to cover with sign-vinyl, which is much cheaper than automotive-vinyl, and you might be able to pick up some remnants for very cheap at a sign shop.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I have used it for more than 6 years in the window of the overhead bunk,to keep the heat down and keep from sun bleaching the curtains,it faces east when stored here at home.

There has not been any downside to this or any problems. I also use it in the rear and side windows while stored here at home and also camping when needed.

The nice thing I like about it over the solid,which I tried,if you want to see out all you have to do is take it down and roll it up for easy storage. Not so on the solid boards,always a storage problem,I found it was a real pain.

Good to know. Thanks! Also, I already have some that I used as a sunshade for a windshield in a minivan. It's plenty big to cut down for the window.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If not Reflectix, what else would work that would look decent from the outside, and block incoming heat effectively?

No worry of heating the glass or condensation on chilly nights.
I use solid foam insulation, DOW board from H. Depot or Lowes. Yes I know its pink, I had to paint it flat black to blend with my window trim and tint.;) Its inexpensive and easy to trim. Sometimes on some windows I use one sheet other windows I use two to double the thickness. Depends what fits better.
I think the R value is 5 for the 1" board. But using one thickness works fine. It never transfers the cold or heat. It makes a decent difference.
If I decide to use the window in its original form then I simply remove the insulating panel and store it under the mattress where it won't get damaged.

If you decide to do this:
1. Cut a snug piece to fit within the window frame so its held in place by pressure, tape it place or the shade helps to secure it if its snug enough. I cut it a little large then trim it down to fit snug.
2. I cut a 10x10 square in the middle so I could see out. I covered the square with Clear Window Insulating (heat shrink) Film. The window kit includes the sticky tape to secure the film to the DOW board.
3. If you need it to be thicker, then double the board thickness with the square cut-out of it to match the first piece. No need to heat shrink cover the second piece, one layer is enough.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
wopachop wrote:
To my understanding the excessive heat is not good for everything that seals the window. I have foam board in my windows. Put the foil to the outside. Posted it here and several old school fellas said to flip it around. Dont put the foil to the outside. I listened to them, but i didnt follow the advice. So maybe i listened to Hendrix, but did i hear him? (white men cant jump joke)

So has anything terrible happened with the Reflectix on the outside? and how long have you had it on there?

I'm thinking maybe the foam board would be just as good, without the Reflectix. My goal is to avoid a hot or cold spot behind my fake headboard.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flyfisherman128 wrote:
Why any builder thinks you need 2 huge windows by a bed

Its so when your arm hits the blinds in the middle of the night, your wife knows it

Haha I believe that.