cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

78Dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
hi all the wife and i are in the process of buying a dreamer class c 25 footer wich has a dodge 360 not sure of the chassis though it is in really good shape for a motothome that is almost 30 years old lol. so we will be doing the payment thing for awhile but she is well worth it ๐Ÿ˜‰ it is the only class see i have seen yet that has a step up into the kitchen wich we love it also has all tinted windows and what we call bay windows this must have been top of the line for 78 good to see a place for all of us to get help and talk

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
munkalido wrote:
Mine is a MB400 (as the vin is F44CD6V1xxxx) and the Chilton I bought to help with repairs is for full sized vans, but doesn't include MB400.

Is there a repair manual, generic like the Chilton, available?? Or is it close enough? (Chilton's #20420, Chrysler Full-Size Vans, 1967-88 repair manual)...

That's about as close as you're going to get, unless you're willing to get one of the professional shop manuals. There are a couple of places that have reprints (or CD-ROMs) of unique older manuals. Try a google for MB400.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a MB400 (as the vin is F44CD6V1xxxx) and the Chilton I bought to help with repairs is for full sized vans, but doesn't include MB400.

Is there a repair manual, generic like the Chilton, available?? Or is it close enough? (Chilton's #20420, Chrysler Full-Size Vans, 1967-88 repair manual)...

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
RobinHoodRV wrote:
The F44 is the model and body type.
Here is what it breaks down to:

F4 = MB400 - model number
4 = MB4 Hi Line Cab - body style

Figured it was something like that, just didn't have the books that specifically stated such.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

RobinHoodRV
Explorer
Explorer
jssussex wrote:
MH with a Dodge title says 1981 dodge sportman. RV was made by Mobile Traveler with a MH # F44CD9V726590 - what does that tell me. The engine is a 440.
Griff in Fairbanks wrote:
Working backwards from the rightmost character:

726590 = Sequential serial number
V = Warren assembly plant
9 = 1979 chassis model year
D = 440-1 series engine
C = 10,001 - 14,000 pound GVW class
F44 = Unknown (my books don't show those letters/numbers but those are usually the model and body type.)

The F44 is the model and body type.
Here is what it breaks down to:

F4 = MB400 - model number
4 = MB4 Hi Line Cab - body style
-jc

78 Robinhood 23' Class C
97 Geo Tracker Convertible 4x4
87 Jeep Comanche Chief 4x4

A100
Explorer
Explorer
My American Clipper ran hotter than I liked but like your's would cool down when I slowed down.
Pulling my race van to a race in Rockingham NC I did a back to back test under similar weather conditions with WaterWetter. I knocked 12 to 15 degrees off running temperature.

HungarianDude
Explorer
Explorer
Jsussex... Sun will kill the Johnson's.... use silicone. Do you know what brand dump valves you have? Most have the handle stem enter through a recess-mounted rectangular plate that's held by 4 ss screws.... the whole valve assy then just pulls right out (AFTER dumping and flushign with bleach!!! lol). You'll see an o-ring around the plate... good idea to replace it. Pay CLOSE attention to the paddles as they come out... they look the same, but have an in/out side. Clean the valve paddles and stems real well, then coat 'em with silicone grease.

For maintenance, once in a while, wipe the stems clean while they're open for dumping and spray with silicone... you'll never have a sticky valve again.

Good luck.... Andy

Scruffy5
Explorer
Explorer
I used silicone spray on my awning rails and also when i replaced awning fabric. worked good
Scruffy 1977 25'Allegro

jssussex
Explorer
Explorer
How do you lube the aluminum awning tracks. I'm sure there is a trick or some sort of dry slide. I'm a woodworker so if no one suggests anything I'm going to try the johnson paste wax (the plain old stuff) It works great on the tables in my shop for sliding and corrosion.

I'm having a similar problem with the grey water sliding gate vale for the drain. It sticks and slides poorly although the Black water valeve seems fine.

bcovey
Explorer
Explorer
Any Dodge Motorhome Chassis owner is welcome on the Travco email list; we have owners from the 1959 models onwards!

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/travco/

The Travco Motorhome Mailing list, for owners and enthusiasts of the Travco, and Dodge Motor Home from 1959 on. Learn about the Dodge Motor Home Chassis, trade tips for service and find parts. All Dodge Motorhome Chassis-based motorhome owners are welcome here. Foretravel built Travco/Avco motorhomes are also supported here

We have 284 members and can usually answer any question you may have regarding any Dodge-based RV.

Please mention your DMH interest when you apply as membership is moderated to prevnt spam.

Brent Covey
Vancouver BC
1977 Chevrolet C20 3+3 Deluxe Camper Special 8200 GVWR, 454-THM400-3.73 axle

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
jssussex wrote:
MH with a Dodge title says 1981 dodge sportman. RV was made by Mobile Traveler with a MH # F44CD9V726590 - what does that tell me. The engine is a 440.

Working backwards from the rightmost character:

726590 = Sequential serial number
V = Warren assembly plant
9 = 1979 chassis model year
D = 440-1 series engine
C = 10,001 - 14,000 pound GVW class
F44 = Unknown (my books don't show those letters/numbers but those are usually the model and body type.)

Important Note: Federal law states that the model year for title purposes is designated by the final manufacturer, even though the vehicle identification number (VIN) is designated by the chassis manufacturer. The result is what is known as "split year" vehicles. In my case, the MH manufacturer said it was a 1970 model, even though it was built on a 1969 chassis, so 1970 is what the title says. The serial number, assigned by Dodge, definitely says it's a 1969 chassis.

In your case, it appears that Mobile Traveler used a 1979 Dodge chassis to build a MH that they identified as being a 1981 model. (That was about the same time that various manufacturers started engaging in "model year creep")

What does this all mean? Not a thing until it's time to buy parts for the chassis, engine, or drivetrain. Then, it avoids a lot of confusion and incorrect parts to know the chassis model year.

I don't have a clue about your awning. Might want to ask a better fabric store or a drapery shop.

Enjoy your motorhome. They're frustrating, aggravating, annoying, etc. but they're essential to creating some wonderful memories. (In other words, it's the best money I've ever spent...and spend...and keep spending. But, I've gotta get it in shape for the grandchildren.)

jssussex
Explorer
Explorer

Second question - the roll out awning is showing pinhole wear in the UV cover. Is there anyway I can lay another layer of material over this to reinforce this before it fails. The rest of the awning looks fine.

This is our first motor home and we are excited about modifying and decorating it to our liking.

FrizzleFried
Explorer
Explorer

Hey...I dig that "spoiler" that you have on the bottom under the front bumper...mine is mysteriously absent and looks like it is missing something...gunna have to try to figure out where i can pick one up...

FrizzleFried
Explorer
Explorer
A new tank from Dodge shouldn't be TOO expensive being that it is plastic. I have the same 36 gallon plastic tank on mine...

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mopar! wrote:
That's good you know what engine you have, there are many parts interchangeable between the B and RB engines you have the B the RB stands for Raised block {added stroke}. Tbe water pump and housing, timng cover, oil pan and pump, heads and valve train {execpt pushrods} all interchange. the intake and valley tray are smaller on the 400.
I build a 400 engine for my 66 coronet a few years back using the 383 rods and crank since I had them {steel crank and the rods are a little lighter}. This is one of the best engines I have ever built, the 400 has the same stroke as the 383 the extra cubic inches come from the larger bore. the pistons in a STD 400 are larger than in a 440. It's a sweet combination.
...snip...

Mr. Mopar knows more about the big blocks than I do. I had a '66 Dodge Polara with a 383 in it. Loved that engine. Sounds like the 400 is an upgraded version.