cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

unionguy1019
Explorer
Explorer
Old Bob, as far as replacing the metal on the roof, I would suggest looking into having a qualified roofer give you a price on a rubber roof. Most times you cannot by any aluminum sheet long enough to cover in one piece. If you noticed while take your roof off, about every eight feet there was a joining crimp. Unless you or a good friend have a metal brake, the rubber roof may be a less costly installation.
Here comes the [purple]"Chuck Wagon"[/purple]

Southernsuzy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all we have a 1978 Dodge Free Spirit class C , does anyone out there have one or know anyone withone........ would like to chat on repairs... Suzy...

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Noodleman wrote:
OK! found out, using some grease cutter and a LOT of rags, I have a Dodge 440 with a Thermoquad(sp?) carburator. The carb is the shiniest thing on the engine. Deal for purchase included getting it smogged. rebuilt the carb. I crawled around underneath looking at things, no leaks to speak of. did notice as I was driving it home that when i dropped it into low it complained in a high pitched SQUEAL. I thought it was the fan belts, but they look fairly new.

The belts still could be loose. (I've found that new belts, especially less expensive ones, sometimes stretch, requiring a retightening shortly after installation.)

That 440 puts out a lot of umph and those bigger tires put a lot of strain on the power steering pump. It's easy for the pump to generate enough resistance to cause the belt to slip in the pulley, especially if the pump is low on fluid.

1. Make sure the power steering pump is full.

2. Make sure the belts are tight.

3. Turn off the dash air conditioning.

4. Turn off everything electrical that you can safely.

5. Make sure the squealing is coming from the front of the engine. (Most likely is but it doesn't hurt to make sure.)

6. Try a better grade of belts.

If none of this works, you may have a more serious problem.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Noodleman
Explorer
Explorer
OK! found out, using some grease cutter and a LOT of rags, I have a Dodge 440 with a Thermoquad(sp?) carburator. The carb is the shiniest thing on the engine. Deal for purchase included getting it smogged. rebuilt the carb. I crawled around underneath looking at things, no leaks to speak of. did notice as I was driving it home that when i dropped it into low it complained in a high pitched SQUEAL. I thought it was the fan belts, but they look fairly new.

sandysz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Yes my Dodge 440 Class C is a 4bbl. The side plate in the driver's door says that it is a Fargo, but in my glove compartment are the Sportsman plates that go on the sides of the van front end. To get parts I usually tell the person to check under the CB300. That usually works. forgot to add this in my above post. Thanks, Sandy

sandysz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, Newbie here. I have a 1979 Jaymini 2300. It has a 440, but do not know if it is a 4bbl or not. Before my tuneup I was getting 13-15 mpg sometimes. Now I am getting 8mpg, and have been told that I need to get my carb rebuilt. Plus I now have an intake leak. But that is not my question.....I turned on my wipers and they made 2 passes and quit. I went to Advance Auto parts. Took the new wiper motor and attached the connector. Made sure that the casing was grounded. It did not work when I turned on the switch. The switch is off, low, high, and you push it to the side for wash. I can hear the wash motor, plus when checking the lugs on the connector with the switch on high. The white and purple wire lugs are hot. Please, does anyone have any advice. The connector looks like a "P" shape. The white is on the bottom of the "P" and the purple is on the bottom of the curved part. It is 4 lugged. Thanks, Sandy

jrceo
Explorer
Explorer
HI ALL DODOGEets. Im a newbie to this world.. im 27,male,,5'7'' 130lbs, green eyes ,slim lean n tight, clean cut, with no MISSING teeth.& single ,im searching for a blonde around my stats, blue eyes, white/yellow blonde hair only , that wants to rv this awesome country of ours- USA.okok..
l love the idea of owning MY first 1975 dodge sportsvan(NO SMOG NEEDED in california--YESSS ),make: dodge fourwind, VLF class: AB bodytype model: MH ,MP:G,MO:LV, type veh: 12J.. 19ft. 360 V8 MOPAR enigne,im the 3rd owner, i bought it last month on the 22nd of july ,I had it towed from malpitas california to santa rosa ,ca(93.6miles),using my tripple AAA card, boy did it come in handie, the motorhome had an exhuast leak, this dry powder black smog would kill any human in 5minutes flat.. dam dodge exhuast stinks... that my brother and I could not bare to have in our lungs.thanks tripple AAA.

Its a very clean ,small enough to creeep into a parking space comfortably and long enough to do back flips in.l live in califronia ,northwest.,50miles north of sanfrancisco , in the city of santa rosa, county of sonoma. BEAUITFUL place to rv through.. highly recomend it toall. ok. I just bought mine and I just can'nt figure out what class my rv is, is it an A,B, or C class. umm it says class AB? Im thinking of needing warmth and quiteness when I begin to rv through the union, how should I stay warm? What should I put on the walls to keep the outside noise down? what tools ,handtools,protection aginist thiefs, everyday tools, would you dodge MHers recomend me carring by my side at all times? umm. I do have a AAA card, 100mile tow in either direction to start. thanks all I LOVE this site.
P.S. if any of you guys now of a single blonde-with NO kids or missing teeth. ,please send her my way. thanks all.jrceo.

Old_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All
Iam glad to find this site. Got a 1978 Lindy 28 ft Dodge.Had it for 2yrs but didn't go anywhere cause it needed tlc a lot of tlc, Had a water leak at the back window so took it out and found a lot of bad wood .The window was not the problem,it was the roof and the side molding. Took out all the wood from the back, pealed off the skin and found lots of rotten wood. It looks like the roof needs something done to it. When the back was taken off the roof developed several other leaks way up front. So to replace the roof is it better to use one sheet of aluminum or try to save the one that is on now? This rv has 66000 mi on it . The engine and trans run great. My carpentry skills are measure 5 times cut once and still get it wrong. Wood putty is my friend.I am retired but limited on funds. The rv we liked cost $68000. It's either fix this one or stay home. Sorry if I talk a lot but I need some advice. Thanks for any help

Noodleman
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the info on leveling the RV. The name on my rig is a Delta, but when I search for it I can't find any info. Maybe it's me, but the big DELTA letters on the side made me believe that would be the name to look for? I'm getting sucked into the "fix me up" vortex. I can't walk by the thing without going in and dinkin around with something.

Sportsman76
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Noodleman, I am a very new Dodge 1976 Sportsman owner as well. I had similar problems. I had to have it very, very leveled indeed before I got the fridge to cool. It cooled the best in one of the RV parks where it actually froze the food (very level ground). It takes about 12-18 hours of constant plugging in before it actually cools well enough. Another tip is to keep the food that needs more cooling at the back of the fridge.

Southernsuzy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi we have a 1978 Dodge Free Spirit... Love it....... Suzy

Noodleman
Explorer
Explorer
I JUST bought a Dodge Delta RV. The data plate on the door jam says it's based on a 1979 Dodge F 40. The previous owner didn't know engine size or much anything else about the rig. We liked the way the inside was layed out and took it. I've just about got the multiple switches figured out but I'm having a hard time with the fridge and a mystery switch on the wall between the kitchen and dining areas.
Question, how level is level? I've parked it in my driveway while a rip out the SHAG carpeting and it's ppinted downhill. I plugged it in, but the fridge isn't getting cold.

Sportsman76
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. By your estimates it would be unwise to try the non Generator approach. I think I will stick with the non RV generator

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to get a one owner home that was wonderfully maintained!

regal5575
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Jerry & Diane checking in as "Dodge Based RV owners". We have a 1970 Dodge Travco that we inherited from my Parents. It has been a pretty good Motorhome, the parents bought it new and were only going to keep it for a few years. Well they fell in love with the lifestyle and sold their summer cottege instead of the motorhome. It travels from Mi to Fla and various side trips. It is 27 foot long Class A, with a 318-3 engine and about 140,000 miles.
Jerry & Diane