cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that is pretty - I be jealous ๐Ÿ˜‰

Count me in on the beer - I won't bring any 3.2, either :B
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
79powerwagon wrote:
OOOOOOO, Purty! No dents even! :B And where's all the duct tape like on mine?

Mark, no 3.2 here either! This is Milwaukee for crying out loud! Only the Aussies and Canooks drink more than us! We have a reputation to uphold! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Eric

But Eric-

You're in the Capital City of BEER!
We have to homebrew or drive to Kansas here.
Wah!

Mark

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eyeteeth

Smooth. I wish mine looked as good.
I like the mini picnic table- that just works!

Mark

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
OOOOOOO, Purty! No dents even! :B And where's all the duct tape like on mine?

Mark, no 3.2 here either! This is Milwaukee for crying out loud! Only the Aussies and Canooks drink more than us! We have a reputation to uphold! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Eric
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Alright... Got the camera stuff downloaded and uploaded. Nothing on the interior yet, but here she is quietly sitting in the driveway basking in all the new found attention.

I just realized... it almost looks like a camping spot where it's at now. ๐Ÿ™‚

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
A pic (or at least a confirmation) would be greatly appreciated, Ken! The beer is on me!

Eric

Count me in fellers- it won't be 3.2 I'll bring.

Mark the Okie

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkpj1 wrote:
Thanks WhiteKnight,

didn't you start this thread, Nice!

I actually have a M400. does that sound right? I have dually rims all around but Eric on this thread was looking to lug two anchors instead of one.

Ken

Ken,

Sorry about assuming you had a B-300. D'oh!!
Welcome aboard and hello to another Ford man!
Yeah. One day I decided I'd wade out into the
vast universe of RV.NET and ask this subject:

"How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?"

It's haunted me ever since... hee hee! Not bad for a
newbster question. After reading that, and what? some odd
90+ pages later- here it is! My YF still thinks it's amazing.
But at least she's doing the curtains, seatcovers and all that
sewing stuff I just can't do.

Speaking of Ford- my faithful old 1977 F-250 Ranger XLT 4WD
had been rolled over by a nephew of mine whilst out mudding
(he's out of my will- my niece and their kids ain't though lol)
So it languished (a fancy word for I'm too busy to fix it now)
until we moved out where we are now, in the country. I also have
a beautiful blue '76 Cadooliac Eldo 'vert named Esmerelda (my truck
was named Ferdinand, "Ferd" for short) that had been stolen and stripped. I have a '77 Cadooliac Eldy Bizarritz coupe called Goldie,
after Goldie Hawn- her tranny was out but her rearend was fine.

To make a disgustingly long story as short as I can, I've carefully
removed Esmerelda's luscious "land aircraft carrier" 'vert body and
carefully freed Ferd's chassis from his horribly damaged sheetmetal.
Goldie is being carefully dismantled so she can share some things with her sister who had it all taken away from her by some folks with a real misguided sense of value. Along with a 1st Gen. Cummins
12valve/NV4500/NP203 rangebox combo mated to Ferd's NP 205 and Dana 60
front and rear axles to make his chassis the 'hoss it is, I'll
bring Esmerelda's body and Ferd's mighty frame and driveline together,
and restore what was missing with parts from Goldie. These were all vehicles I was fond of, and I'll raise them to mechanical life again
as the only 1976 Diesel Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 4WD Convertible named "Anastasia" which, in the roots of Greek and Russian translates to "standing up again" or the dearest hope a human can hold- "Resurrection". And my old RV- the Cummins-powered Dodge "Super B-300"? He'll be called "The Wanderer".

OK, I'm off my soapbox now. You don't have to be nuts to post here.
But it helps...hee hee! If you think I love my "toys" like Anastasia
and Wanderer the Wonder RV, that's not even a pinspeck of how much I love those I call my own.

Welcome again my friends- the human adventure is just beginning!
Love much- laugh easily-grin hugely-hold hands-flush.

going for my medication now-

Mark a.k.a whiteknight001

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
mkpj1 wrote:
Thanks guys,

Eric, I will look at my hubs. I could shoot a picture of it but I would need to do that over the weekend.

No no, No frams for me. I either ue Mobile one or Puralator. Wicks is good too. I changed the ol right after i bought it. Looks like meone tried to pull il filter old and couldn't. Oil looked bad. I with mobil 10w40. will hook up the new gauge and see what i get.

Ken

A pic (or at least a confirmation) would be greatly appreciated, Ken! The beer is on me!

Eric

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
eyeteeth wrote:
Awesome Whiteknight001, exactly the type of stuff I was hoping for. Overflow kit already in place. The shop I had work on brakes, change oil, and put new tires on wouldn't/couldn't do a flush and fill, so that's tops on the list. I'm off to JCWhitney.

Eyeteeth,

Welcome aboard, man! That's what I had to do with my rolling eyesore
hee hee. It's amazing what JCWhitney has- pills for the gas tank, sanwich toasters and God knows what else- almost like mail-order NAPA!!

Gonna hafta stick some pix of your rig up sometime... bet it looks a whole lot better than mine. Howd'ya come by the handle "Eyeteeth"?
Bet there's a story in that!

your baggy-eyed old compadre...

Mark a.k.a. whiteknight001

mkpj1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys,

Eric, I will look at my hubs. I could shoot a picture of it but I would need to do that over the weekend.

No no, No frams for me. I either ue Mobile one or Puralator. Wicks is good too. I changed the ol right after i bought it. Looks like meone tried to pull il filter old and couldn't. Oil looked bad. I with mobil 10w40. will hook up the new gauge and see what i get.

Ken

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
mkpj1 wrote:
Thanks WhiteKnight,

I actually have a M400. does that sound right? I have dually rims all around but Eric on this thread was looking to lug two anchors instead of one.

I have a question. I'm running about 25-30 oil pressure on warm up. Once it cools i'm down to about 12 and it stays there. No change at RPM, Uh Oh! Is that normal for a Mopar small block. It's probably blocked up with sludge or has a weak pump. My frame of reference ha always been 10 psi per 1000 RPM. Anybdy use diesel fuel to clean out a sludged engine? I always just rebuilt but I'm not going to here unless I really have to. Any thoughts, My bearings are starving!

Ken

Ken

Everything Eric told you is right on the money. Check the pressure with a good guage before going too crazy chasing this down.

I wouldn't use diesel fuel to clean out the engine though. IMHO, you'll most likely do more harm then good. There are some oil flushes on the market if you really think you want to do that, but I wouldn't. Getting the engine up to temperture and changing the oil while still hot will help.

Low oil pressure can be caused by a lot of different things. Worn crankshaft bearings, bad pump, wrong oil etc. A cheap oil filter (like the Fram) can bypass and drop your pressure a bit too.

I have also seen the oil pickup plugged by debris in the pan such as old valve seals and plastic timing chain gear pieces.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
mkpj1 wrote:
Thanks WhiteKnight,

I have a question. I'm running about 25-30 oil pressure on warm up. Once it cools i'm down to about 12 and it stays there. No change at RPM, Uh Oh! Is that normal for a Mopar small block. It's probably blocked up with sludge or has a weak pump. My frame of reference ha always been 10 psi per 1000 RPM. Anybdy use diesel fuel to clean out a sludged engine? I always just rebuilt but I'm not going to here unless I really have to. Any thoughts, My bearings are starving!

Ken

Ken

You posted too quickly, Ken! :B

The "rule of thumb" is 10psi per 1000rpms. Usually, the pressure goes down as the engine warms, not cools. Are you relying on the factory gauge? If so, buy a cheapo mechanical oil pressure gauge and hook it up (just leave it sit on the dog house, no need to mount it permanently yet) and then do your test again.

If it still is showing low pressure the way you described it, change your oil filter (I hope you are NOT running a Fram). check your pressures again. If it's still as you described, well...then... you'll have to try something else!

When I sold my BEAUTIFUL 1964 Fury wagon, I told the new owner that the old poly 318 was tired and loses oil pressure once it was warmed up. He wasn't too concerned about it, even when I suggested he bring a trailer to take it home. Nah! They drove the thing! A 6 hour drive even! No problems at all! Even at 7psi on the freeway!!!!!

So maybe you don't need to worry too much just yet. But do install a better gauge if you're using the factory one.

Eric

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! Ken, I know what you're saying about the front hubs, I just can't find any info in my books about it. The dually wheel for the front is just an adapter that bolts to the rotor/hub, right? At least that's the way it was on a friends Chevy 1 ton truck.

If that's the case, then all I need to do is get shopping on the net for a set of those, right? (insert crossed fingers here)

No pick-n-pulls anymore around here, so I'll hunt the web.

Big John, here's a pic of the rear of my machine. Not the best layout for a rear mounted spare!

If I can actually find a hub adapter, that'd be the sweet deal!

Thanks!

Eric

mkpj1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks WhiteKnight,

Ken

Ken

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome Whiteknight001, exactly the type of stuff I was hoping for. Overflow kit already in place. The shop I had work on brakes, change oil, and put new tires on wouldn't/couldn't do a flush and fill, so that's tops on the list. I'm off to JCWhitney.